What? No mainstream media covering this? Shocking!
(07-20-2010, 10:54 PM)Jester Wrote: I believe we should use the information we have. I also believe context is critical in interpreting that information. I don't believe in "gotcha," I don't believe in scalp-taking or witch-hunting on the basis of snippets of evidence. I also don't believe that people are obligated to be saints, especially when they can expect privacy.

Racism is over the line. But saying one was once racist, once upon a time, is not the same thing, especially not in the context of an anecdote about how one learned that race is not the fundamental issue, but rather discrimination and powerlessness generally. People can change for the better, and honestly discussing that change should not be a career-ending mistake.

-Jester

I don't dispute thst change for the better is possible (I wouldn't be in therapy if I didn't believe change was possible), but I do take issue with your assertion that expectation of privacy provides liscence for communicaiton of discriminatory (or other offensive) opinion. Permitting individuals to maintain a private opinion that is contrary to their public responsibility seems inappropriate to me: how can discrimination be eliminated when those charged with preventing it privately hold biggotted opinions of the protected group?

I believe people should be held accountable for their opinions as well as their actions: yes context must play a role in evaluating the opinion that is expressed, but I'm not afraid of someone loosing their career as a result of thier failure to execute their assigned duties in an appropriate manner. In my mind that's getting fired for doing your job poorly, which seems wholy appropriate. And yes, I have been fired for doing my job poorly, and while I was infuriated at the time and disagreed with the assessment, upon reflection, I deserved it.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!

Messages In This Thread
RE: What? No mainstream media covering this? Shocking! - by Maitre - 07-22-2010, 02:18 AM
Spoonerisms - by Vandiablo - 07-21-2010, 04:13 AM
RE: Spoonerisms - by --Pete - 07-21-2010, 05:19 AM
RE: Spoonerisms - by kandrathe - 07-21-2010, 01:01 PM
RE: Spoonerisms - by Chesspiece_face - 07-21-2010, 08:21 PM
RE: Spoonerisms - by kandrathe - 07-21-2010, 09:29 PM
RE: Spoonerisms - by Chesspiece_face - 07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
RE: Spoonerisms - by Jester - 07-21-2010, 09:48 PM
RE: Spoonerisms - by kandrathe - 07-21-2010, 10:20 PM
RE: Spoonerisms - by Jester - 07-21-2010, 11:10 PM
RE: Spoonerisms - by kandrathe - 07-22-2010, 12:23 AM
RE: Spoonerisms - by Jester - 07-22-2010, 01:03 AM