Authenticators to be required to play WoW?
Quote:Hi,
That's a reasonable attitude, but it probably doesn't matter in this case. If the servers are set up to require authenticators, then authenticators will be required. To change this, the customers will need to sue Blizzard or its parent companies. That suit would have to be brought either in California, France, or where the servers are physically located.

Wrong. The product is sold and offered in the Netherlands. So Dutch law applies.

Quote:If the servers are located in a place that recognizes the ToS, then there's little chance of a suit succeeding.

I'm curious to how a ToS could be made binding in the Netherlands. I suppose that software could include a binding agreement that would have to be signed and notarized and returned to the software company before the product could be activated. That would really kill most software sales, especially of games. The balance between protecting individuals and protecting companies is always precarious, I guess.

--Pete

Yup, it put a lot of people in knots. However, the judge will always take in consideration what is 'reasonably expected'. Authenticators are in the grey zone. Copying the game is clearly illegal. etc.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

Messages In This Thread
Authenticators to be required to play WoW? - by Crusader - 01-13-2010, 01:10 PM