Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage
Hi,

Quote:Pete, that's a good way to look for the drives . . .
I don't actually do it that way either. When I'm becoming 'computer literate' because it's time to upgrade, I spend some weeks reading recent articles on Tom's Hardware, do the odd search for specs, etc., and post to the most knowledgeable site around (right here on the Lounge;)). Then I set a budget, do some shopping, and revise what I'm going to get to be more in line with what I can afford. But I totally agree with you, bleeding edge is not worth the cost or the hassle. Three to six month 'old' technology is a lot cheaper, often a lot more reliable, and usually available when you want it.

Now that I've lowered my standards for layout and looks, it typically takes a few hours to assemble the system, and that way, I know everything thats been done, be it jumpers, or what connector the DVD audio is plugged into, etc. Not that big an investment in time, in my opinion. And it makes maintenance, upgrades, and repairs easier downstream. Of course, the last two machines I've put together have taken over two years to assemble -- but that is due to special circumstances.

Quote:As some one who started with a 40 meg hard drive on a 286 they all seem REALLY big to me.
:) 5 MB on a PDP 11-23 for me. The drive was the shape and a little bigger than the size of an old vinyl turntable, complete with the smoky Plexiglas cover through which you could see the platter (one sided) and the read-write head. But it let us run UNIX, and that *was* cutting edge. :lol:

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Wyrm - 05-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Wyrm - 05-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by --Pete - 05-27-2008, 05:19 AM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-29-2008, 09:23 PM