Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage
That looks really nice DeeBye!

I guess I look at some things differently when shopping for computer parts. I used to buy parts for the lowest price I could find at local computer shows and build my own systems. Now I normally check specs, reviews, warranties and prices and have a local distributor that builds our systems for work build me my home unit. I also stopped chasing the biggest and fastest when I saw in three to six months it was 1/2 to 1/4 the price.

It's just doesn't seem worth my time anymore sending parts back and forth when you get those "duds". Yes I pay more but I get the parts I want, with all the documentation and disks but no crap pre-loaded on it.

I have asked a few times for parts that were not going to be in the channel for 3-4 months which was normally worth a laugh! Sometimes Intel or AMD will send out chipsets to the board makers and some small batch will be reviewed. I remember one board had a backlog of 1000 pieces and no idea when they were going to be delivered.

I have to do enough repairs at work that I just don't get the urge much to build my own systems anymore.

I only remember seeing let me call it "desktop" or "server" class drives the last time I was looking. I do remember a few years back WD was making home models that just had a one year warranty instead of three which turned me off a little as I didn't see the point of it. I thought that over time the quality of the drives and warranties should go up not down.

The server class drives had a much higher rating on mean time to falure if ran non-stop but I don't remember what they were.

Pete, that's a good way to look for the drives but I normally deside on a model then check the prices for the different sizes if I'm not sure how large a drive to go for. As some one who started with a 40 meg hard drive on a 286 they all seem REALLY big to me. I think some one told me they are even selling terabyte (sp?) drives now.
Bevock - 85 Paladin - Stormrage
525 Mining 525 Blacksmith

Messages In This Thread
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Wyrm - 05-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Wyrm - 05-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Bevock - 05-27-2008, 04:35 AM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-29-2008, 09:23 PM