Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage
Hi,

Quote:Processing demands for Raid 0 or 1 are minimal, when you talk RAID 5, you have to calculate the parity bit and that takes more horsepower. You can probably find some hardware vs. software RAID comparisons at storagereview.com
OK. Thanks. My error was in thinking that all RAID controllers would use hardware parity and striping, especially since the components for these functions are simple, cheap, and ancient. Guess I've got some homework to do.

Quote:. . . shows that rel world performance when loading a gaming level is typically less than 1 second difference.
However, the same review shows that in other file transfer applications, the difference can be quite large, with RAID0 coming close to its theoretical two-to-one improvement in DVD burning and file unpacking and file moving applications. Looking over the test results, it appears that in many of the applications tested, including the game loads, the program was performing some other function to soak up time while accessing the disk. Thus, the test became one of the speed of the other, non-disk, function.

As to the additional cost of RAID0, I really don't see much there. All quality motherboards seem to retail for very similar prices (perhaps $40US difference top to bottom). The cost of two drives is about the same as the cost of one twice as large. For all but the lowest cost systems, RAID0 doesn't appear to be that big a percent differential. A modular power supply will often make a bigger price difference, giving in return nothing that a few cable ties and some technique doesn't do as well. But, of course, that's my opinion, others will see it differently;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Wyrm - 05-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Wyrm - 05-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by --Pete - 05-22-2008, 02:40 AM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-29-2008, 09:23 PM