Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage
Quote:CoolerMaster CM690 case
Corsair 450VX power supply
Intel Q6600 with a Tuniq tower on it
WD 750 GB SATA hard drive
EVGA 8800GT
4 x 2 GB A-data DDR2 800
some Samsung DVD-R

I'm planning to buy a new sound card and a new mouse (MX 518 maybe), but I've been strangely unmotivated to spend money for the past few months.

I haven't had any hardware problems or regrets. My thought on the RAM was that in a few years if I could use the extra, it would probably be out of production and more expensive (at least new) than it is now. My thought on the quad core was that I can easily max 4 cores while mixing music. Only time will tell whether either of those thoughts had merit, but the prices were reasonable enough compared to my previous builds. What can I say about video cards... you spend a fortune today and tomorrow there will be a new one and a few weeks later another. Maybe you have the right idea always grabbing the previous gen cards as soon as the bottom drops out. If you do that with video cards and never buy a game until it is 6 months old, you'd save a ton of money on both ends, be able to run everything at max, and never pay $60 for a bad game...

That case is really nice and has tons of space in it. I also like the Corsair PSU and have heard great things about them. Is it modular? I really wanted a modular PSU but the Antec Sonata III that comes with a quality 500W PSU was just too good a deal to pass up. I suppose I can always spring for one down the line.

It's funny that you mention a new mouse and the MX 518 in particular. I was >< this close to adding a Logitech G5 to my order, but bailed out at the last second because $56 is a lot of money for a mouse:(

I use a MX 510 right now and I just can't part with it. The MX 518 is the next step up, and the G5 is the current successor. One of the buttons on my MX 510 is starting to get a little loose and I'm worried it might break completely, but I just can't find a MX 518 or G5 for a decent price (the MX 510 is out of production). I did add a note to my order saying that it would be nice if they added a G5 as a bonus -- who knows?

Messages In This Thread
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Wyrm - 05-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by DeeBye - 05-19-2008, 02:37 AM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Wyrm - 05-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Updating the 'puter for hardcore ownage - by Taem - 05-29-2008, 09:23 PM