On LCD Monitors
So, as is the custom with my family, we cracked open the presents on the 24th instead of the 25th, so we can sleep in the following morning:)

Along with a shirt and some other nominal gifts, I received an LCD monitor for this year. I have yet to test it for dead pixels (which I'll do tomorrow, I imagine), and haven't been able to find a review on any of the major sites for this specific model.

Some basic specs for it:

Westinghouse LCM-17v8

Native Resolution: 1280x1024
Response Time: 8ms
Contrast Ratio: 450:1
Maximum Brightness: 300 Nits (What's a Nit?)

While the 8ms response time is a good thing, as I recall, I'm worried about the contrast ratio. From what I've read (reviews for 17" LCDs are fairly old), it should be at least 500:1 to 600:1; will a 450:1 cause significant differences in color richness and depth?

Another concern is the native resolution; with my current CRT monitor (which I like), I run most programs at 1024x768 @ 85Hz, with more demanding programs or programs that require high framerates (such as CS:S, UT2k4, Doom3, and Quake 4) at lower resolutions to increase framerates. If I lower the refresh rate of my monitor, I can usually run 1280x1024 with few problems, but lower refresh rates cause increased eyestrain/eye fatigue. Do LCDs even have a refresh rate selection? I can't find any mention of refresh rates in the specs either online or in the user's manual, so I'm assuming it's locked at a particular refresh rate.

Next, because I will inevitably have to lower the resolution to play certain games, how much of a difference does it make running games at a significantly lower resolution (such as 800x600)? Will this cause excessive blurring and artifacting, or would it be mostly agreeable?

Third, I can't find any real mention of Westinghouse on many review sites (and it's generally LCD TVs on the sites that do have listings), and I don't know whether to take this as good or bad. What's the general reputation of Westinghouse? Are they reliable? It has a ten year limited replacement warranty that I haven't fully read just yet, but I'd rather not have to use the warranty at all.

I'm somewhat concerned about whether I should keep this gift or have it returned in exchange for something else (the car could use some repairs...), because I do not know if I have a computer capable of using an LCD monitor to its fullest. I run a 128MB Sapphire Radeon 9600XT on an AthlonXP 2500+ with 512MB RAM, and I don't think that's going to be enough to run most programs at 1280x1024 at acceptable framerates. I thoroughly enjoy my current CRT, and hence wasn't really expecting or wanting an LCD monitor; while it would be useful for watching movies and surfing, I do not think it would be a good idea to keep it for use in such a limited capacity when I could have the money refunded and returned or used elsewhere.

Would it be a better idea to keep this or return it for something else?
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.

Messages In This Thread
On LCD Monitors - by Artega - 12-25-2006, 03:59 AM
On LCD Monitors - by Rhydderch Hael - 12-25-2006, 07:30 AM
On LCD Monitors - by Concillian - 12-29-2006, 02:53 AM