Does A Teachers Gender Play A Role In Education?
Quote:My interpretation was more "Why would boys in a segregated classroom learn better from a male teacher?" At that age (pre-rebellion), adolescents are firming up their identity formation. So, it would seem to me that segregated, adolescents are more willing to "follow the leader" rather than "compete for attentions from the opposite sex". I would imagine the "beauty/handsomeness" of the teacher also would have something to do with the level of competitiveness. So the fly in Doc's ointment of "trying to please", is that they may be doing that competitively standing on the head of the other students. This competitiveness reduces the energy that can be devoted to learning. But it's just a hunch.

I dunno.

Competing to impress Ms. Hottie is still a means of motivation. And believe me, in a situation such as this, there is energy to spare. Nothing is lost. Last I checked, most teenage boys have endless reserves of energy when trying to impress a pretty face.

Not so sure I see a fly in the ointment here.

All that matters in the long run is that they learn. I do not care much how they learn, being a pragmatist I don't see much as being bad as far as motivating students to learn, do what ever it takes, within reason. A good teacher will do what ever it takes, and use whatever assets they have, old or young, hot or not.

How many of us have a favourite or trusted teacher that was the older frumpy sort? I can think of one or two.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."

Messages In This Thread
Does A Teachers Gender Play A Role In Education? - by Doc - 08-30-2006, 05:49 AM