the Diablo History is not dead yet!
First, as others have said, the newspaper background isn't great. To me it's not just a color issue, I think my eyes are actually trying to focus on the fuzzy newspaper words instead of the foreground.

Now for some potential errata:

MAY 1998

--Da O’Toth does research into “of thieves” jewelry and posts his finds on the DSF. Among his discoveries, he is the first to point out that the “thieves” suffix not only halves trap damage, but also halves ranged damage. As this was an unintended side effect of the suffix, Blizzard corrected it in a patch.

The date is right but the credit is not. Crystalion is the one who discovered this. It was considered a landmark discovery, and the suffix was frequently referred to on DSF as "of Crystalion" from that point until Blizzard fixed it. Not surprisingly, there was also plenty of debate about whether this was a 'bug' or a 'feature'.

JULY 1999

(...)

--A DSFer (later found to be BOSTIC) creates Landru, a bot that responds to posts on the forum, usually ones containing only links or buzzwords like “cheats” and “hacks.” Every so often, Landru would post a list of current posters and how many posts they made.

This date is clearly off. Maybe July 97? Landru was extremely active when I started posting in early 98.

OCTOBER 1999

(...)

--Barngrille writes a now-classic post about deaths of Diablo characters and how to die well in Diablo

I'm guessing either the date is wrong here or this was a repost. Barngrille's time on the DSF preceeded mine, although he seemed to be one of those famous Lurkers who would pop in and say something if a sentimental thread got going. Any posts he made in 99 were few and far between.

--Bolty posts the first five notes in what is to become the Diablo Buglist.

Something seems not right about this too. The Buglist was initially compiled to present to Blizzard as a to-do list for the 1.05 patch (the 1.07 patch actually ended up adressing the list). The notes listed in this entry might have been added in Oct. 99, but the list itself goes back quite a bit earlier.

NOVEMBER 1999

(...)

--An unnamed Ironman team manages to kill Diablo, the first team to do so on record.

I'd have to do some research to verify this for sure, but I believe that would be the team of Friar, Kshira, and Gumby.

FEBRUARY 2000

--Nystul, along with three others, becomes a Barbarian King with Animal(BAR).

Strange wording here. Animal became the fourth Barbarian King, which is a solo achievement. I assume that's what this entry means. At some point after that, Animal and three others were able to earn a third dot in an all-BAR coop, which was certainly the most incredible thing I've ever done in this game.

Well, that's enough nitpicking for now. Sorry that I don't have the exact info on most of the things I point out as being wrong. All in all, great job! It's really something to look back and get a glimpse of how things unfolded.

Messages In This Thread
the Diablo History is not dead yet! - by --Pete - 05-22-2003, 02:32 AM
the Diablo History is not dead yet! - by LavCat - 05-22-2003, 05:49 AM
the Diablo History is not dead yet! - by Bob - 05-22-2003, 07:10 AM
the Diablo History is not dead yet! - by Feryar - 05-22-2003, 10:04 AM
the Diablo History is not dead yet! - by Walkiry - 05-22-2003, 10:43 AM
the Diablo History is not dead yet! - by TaMeOlta - 05-22-2003, 03:38 PM
the Diablo History is not dead yet! - by Nystul - 05-22-2003, 03:53 PM
the Diablo History is not dead yet! - by Roland - 05-22-2003, 10:44 PM
the Diablo History is not dead yet! - by Mirajj - 05-22-2003, 11:42 PM
the Diablo History is not dead yet! - by Roland - 05-22-2003, 11:59 PM
the Diablo History is not dead yet! - by Roland - 05-23-2003, 12:00 AM