Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux
Quote:It's not unreasonable at all for parents to want to have control over whether or not their 9 year old kid sees a...

I'm not so sure about that, whether the following be a movie or anything else. It certainly is within both the parents' rights and powers (at least in America) to control such issues, but I don't know that reason has anything to do with it. A lot of parents (both good and bad) are completely unreasonable when it comes to what their kids can and cannot do.

Quote:My 8-year-old loved it. Of course, she's also seen (and enjoyed) all three Lord of the Rings films, plus King Kong on the small screen, so this one wasn't breaking any new ground for her in terms of violence or grossness (and there is almost no sexual content that I can think of).

Glad that sexual part was at least restricted to parentheses. The fact that it's often considered on the same level as, or even above violence in terms of being bad for kids is both mind-boggling and frightening. Guess that's mostly an American thing, though?

An eight-year-old enjoyed Lord of the Rings. Good for her. I had a major beef with people bringing their kids to that one in theaters. Had nothing to do with the violence (that's their call, not mine), but the plot was probably too steep for them, and three hour long movies are NOT for most eight-year-olds. Completely ruined it for me. There was a kid sitting right next to me playing with the lights in his shoes for at least eighty percent of the movie. Talking was near-constant. I think it's a local issue, though. Even "in town" is way the heck out in the middle of nowhere here, and movies are just about all it offers in terms of entertainment, family or otherwise, even if they are overpriced.

Quote:Luckily, any movie with Johnny Depp, special effects, musical cues, octopus tentacles, and pieces of wood (giant waterwheel FTW!) has a lot going for it already, and doesn't need to rely upon Bloom to sell tickets. smile.gif

I'm not sure how much I like Johnny Depp. I think he's done some genius work, but I also think he's had some genius writing behind him. And I know my view is tainted by living in a house full of females that are friggin' crazy about him. My devil's advocate role comes out there. At least he's got some range, which is less than can be said of most other such beaus. I know Tom Cruise has taken a lot of flak lately, but he's a really good example of this. The man plays the exact same character in every single movie he's ever been in. He's very good at playing said character, but I don't think that makes him a particularly good actor.

Anyway, none of those things make a movie by themselves, but in concert, I think I can see what you're talking about.

I have not seen this one (yet, anyway), likely because I know it will be both overpriced and hard to watch with kids running up and down the aisles and screaming through the whole thing. I fear, however, that it will suffer from 'sequel syndrome', which gets even worse if it's part two of three. I guess it's a good marketing ploy to leave some of that cliffhanging at the end, but it sure as hell doesn't make for a better movie. But then...that's not why the majority of movies are created. The only notable exception here is Back to the Future. The second movie was genius. But so were the other two.

Wow, I'm good at going off-topic.

--me

Messages In This Thread
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Doc - 07-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Doc - 07-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Nystul - 07-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Griselda - 07-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Merlinios - 07-10-2006, 02:56 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Doc - 07-10-2006, 03:50 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Drasca - 07-10-2006, 04:29 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Griselda - 07-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Bun-Bun - 07-11-2006, 05:24 PM