Superman Returns: The World Doesn't Need This Film
Quote:I always considered Spiderman to be pretty lame, also.

<spiderman>
WAAAAAAHHHHHHH. WAAAAAHHHHH. I love Mary Jane but can't tell her because then someone will find out. WAAAAAHHHH. WAAAAAAHHHHHH
</spiderman>

I don't know--that never really bothered me until the recent movies, when they made him kind of a wuss. Maguire is not superhero material. His Parker wasn't nerdy enough and his Spiderman wasn't...Spiderman-y enough.

Quote:(besides James Bond)

I do believe that says it all right there. Plus he's Sean Connery. Can't argue with Sean Connery.

The review in general here seem to be pretty dead-on about modern movies. You get popcorn flicks with at least one or two major plot holes that just aren't worth my time (most of the time). I can't justify paying at eight dollar admission (with no disposable income to speak of...gogo college) for something I will complain about to everyone I can for a week. I guess the fact that good movies never come to either of the towns I'm located in doesn't help.

I don't know. Maybe my expectations are a little high. My mom was doing a lot of film studies in college, though she has since progressed to "feel-good" movies because she...likes to feel good, I guess. They are no longer an entertainment outlet for her; they are an escape. Back to my main point, I think it may stem from not from flawed movies as such, but from flawed viewers. The makers are giving the public exactly what they want; good special effects, a little eye-candy, fairly predictable plot--who cares if there are holes in it the size of Montana?

I realized this when I went to go see Matrix Reloaded (There's an eight bucks I'll never get back!). Movie progresses. Crowd is better than normal (Kids are not running up and down the aisles with light-up tennis shoes.). Until the one interesting scene in the entire movie. Neo stands in the room with the architect. No one gets punched in the face or shot for a whole ten minutes. The entire crowd begins talking so loud I can barely hear what's going on. Guess it's just not a good time for mainstream movies.

I (as most college students) appreciate all of the above, except perhaps the predictable plot, but they're going soo far overboard. First thing to mind is Arwen in Lord of the Rings. She is completely superfluous. I don't think she had a spoken word in the books. People looked at her, made the inevitable comparison to Galadriel, and she kind of...played backup. Aragorn's love interest was never meant to drive the plot; it was only supposed to drive him.

Sorry to hijack your thread like that. I have no seen Superman yet, and it looks like I'm not going to. It appears to have modern movie syndrome™. Two or three awesome elements (Spacey, nostalgia, special effects) coupled with some mediocre stuff (writing, directing, the kid) and some large plot holes that will probably leave me rather unsatisfied. Have there been more than a handful of movies in the past decade that did not follow this pattern?

--me

Messages In This Thread
Superman Returns: The World Doesn't Need This Film - by Merlinios - 07-03-2006, 09:42 PM