Tell me about buying a home for the first time
Lots of good advice here, like the emergency funds for appliances and what not.

Look out for being nickled and dimed to death. A house has a way of doing this, especially moving in.

Curtain rods... New curtains. Oh, and something to match the kitchen tile. Contact paper for the shelves in the cupboards. Faucet drips a bit, needs a new faucet. Toilet runs a bit to often, need new internals. A new rug for the hall. Lightbulbs of all shapes and sizes. A can of oil for the squeaks. The cost of gas running around to buy all of these things. That cute little antique table that your wife finds and things it will be just perfect next to the front door. Shelves of all shapes and sizes to put on the walls so you can put stuff away. The obligatory stud finder, so you can find a stud to screw those shelves to. (Just use an electric razor.) Paint and wall paper. It has been my experience that in every house you live in, there is always just one room that does not agree with you. It's that room with the paint peeling just below the window sill that drives you crazy and seems to be the only thing you can see when you walk in to that room. That room painted in Harvest Gold with Avocado trim. (along with deep pile shag carpet) The bathroom with the funky wallpaper which has little toilets on it doing crazy things toilets would never do, like drive cars, read newspapers, and dress in funky 70s discotech clothing, with sideburns and Chester the Molester mustaches on lids that look like smiling lips. The buttery yellow glow of a kitchen that used to be white, but has seen to many cigarettes smoked by lonesome housewives.

Adding lipstick and rouge to a house is all fine and good, but you would be amazed at just how fast those nickles and dimes add up.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."

Messages In This Thread
Tell me about buying a home for the first time - by Doc - 05-31-2006, 02:16 PM