Three Generation Households
Quote:-- snip --

I think it is good for us older folk to be around young children... Like a grand parent living in the home. Now, see, most adults, they grow up, and they really grow up if you know what I mean. They get all responsible and uptight and have a mortgage and all these bills and what not. These adults forget to have fun. And they act like parents, which is a real drag. They are running around all frazzled and bent out of shape and a load on their shoulders. In short, they have probably become their own parents.

-- snip --

I guess these multi generation homes, when they are healthy and good and functional (No comment about extended families all living in the same trailer) they should be celebrated.

I agree with you Doc, when it works, it can be great not only for the youngest generation but for the middle as well. Some of us young folks are too proud to admit it, but there's a lot you can learn from your parents about how to deal with kids on a daily basis. I was actually thinking to myself the other day that there was no way I could "call in healthy" today, because I have a mortgage, two cars, the new baby, and all that relying on me saving my vacation time until it's needed for something other than enjoying one more nice day outside.

Another thing that you can get from the multi generation household is a better sense of connection with one's geneology and ancestry. I recently attended a funeral for a great uncle of mine, and met at least 10 people for the first time despite the fact that I am related to them by blood, and that was my mother's family. I don't have the first clue how many people are in my father's family that I've never met (I think at last count my grandparents have 35 grand and great-grand chidren, and 2 great-great-grandchildren). It seems like the times that I'm able to pick up the family structure are those chats on easy afternoons when we go for a visit, which seem like just the thing that happens when grandma and grandad are two floors away, rather than two states.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!

Messages In This Thread
Three Generation Households - by ShadowHM - 05-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Three Generation Households - by Maitre - 05-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Three Generation Households - by Doc - 05-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Three Generation Households - by ShadowHM - 05-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Three Generation Households - by Doc - 05-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Three Generation Households - by Maitre - 05-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Three Generation Households - by kandrathe - 05-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Three Generation Households - by --Pete - 05-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Three Generation Households - by ShadowHM - 05-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Three Generation Households - by --Pete - 05-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Three Generation Households - by kandrathe - 05-29-2006, 07:23 PM