Three Generation Households
Quote:-- snip --
I am quite sure that there are Lurkers who do live in such households. I would like to hear their perspectives on this living arrangement and other issues raised by the New York Times article.
-- snip --

Kind of on topic here, but my father grew up in a 3 generation household. He and his twin sister were numbers 4 and 5 of 6 children. His eldest sibling (call her G) had gotten married, moved out, had a child, and ended the marriage and moving back in with the son (call him D), who was just a few years younger than my fathers younger brother (D has children as old as my brother and I). From what I've gathered over the years it was a bit of a strained household after a while because G moved out and left D to be raised by my grandparents. There are a number of other things that ended up straining my fathers family, but most of them came up years after the older siblings started moving out. Not the least of which was when my father enlisted in the Army and told his parents on his father's birthday: "Happy birthday Pop, I joined the Army and they're sending me to Vietnam."

The point of the story is that in some harmonious situations like the one ShadowHM describes, things work out well for most of the people involved, but at some critical mass (different for each family) it becomes too many issues. There's a lot to be gained by members of 3 generation households, but in some cases there's a lot to be lost as well.

In regard to single parent families, after just six weeks, my wife and I look at each other everyday and make each other promise that they'll never walk away. Neither of us would have any hope of being a single parent. Anyone who does it successfully is better person than I.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!

Messages In This Thread
Three Generation Households - by ShadowHM - 05-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Three Generation Households - by Maitre - 05-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Three Generation Households - by Doc - 05-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Three Generation Households - by ShadowHM - 05-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Three Generation Households - by Doc - 05-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Three Generation Households - by Maitre - 05-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Three Generation Households - by kandrathe - 05-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Three Generation Households - by --Pete - 05-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Three Generation Households - by ShadowHM - 05-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Three Generation Households - by --Pete - 05-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Three Generation Households - by kandrathe - 05-29-2006, 07:23 PM