Gimme some input on my computer choice
DeeBye,Apr 19 2006, 11:13 PM Wrote:The 7600GS is also quite a bit cheaper.[right][snapback]107821[/snapback][/right]

Miniaturization for Nvidia GPU wafers means shrinking the cost too ;) Unlike what your misses may tell you, this is one time's honest: smaller is better!

Quote:I'm getting really confused by nVidia's naming conventions now.  How does the the 6xxx line compare to the 7xxx line?  I would have thought that a 6xxxGS would be be whomped by a 7xxxGS, but obviously this isn't so.

I consider all naming conventions fairly arbitary, but here's how the Nvidia ones generally work (for the recent cards):

NX00

The first digit (N) indicates which generation of tech they're using.

The second digit (X) is indicative of the low to high end bell curve within every N000 series. There are low end cards like 6200, 7300. There's mid range, which is usually 6600 or 7600. Then there's high end, with the N800 designation. So, if you understand that the less-to-more powerful cards ranges in the hundreds 0X00 digit, rather than the first, then it makes sense. The best of the old tech will still beat the pants out of the weakest of the new. Or in this case, the best of the old 6800GS, beat the left of middle of the pack new 7600GS. However, the 7x00 series is also using a smaller die, meaning more chips per wafer, less cost to you, less power drawn (from PSU), thus less heat, noise in general. As always though, YMMV.

When you see GT, that's generally become the new 'standard' version (older cards don't come with any G_ suffix at all). GS is a less powerful than GT, but usually comes at a bargain price, so there's little complaining when on a budget. GTX is more powerful, and usually pricier. No letters at all means an older version, and usually less powerful than the GT.

There's more to overall computer power than just the chip technology, and this system of identifying generation, then overall power ratio makes sense after seeing the specs and reviewed performance. Tech generation followed by a rating amongst the others in its generation.

Sidenote: The 6600GT is one of the best selling vid cards because it gave a lot of steady power for its time, more than enough for the casual gamer, and gave a way out for the aging AGP market for a very reasonable price. It is a bit of a war horse. Cheap, powerful, and reasily available to everyone (additionally ATI had no comparable offerings for AGP users for quite some time, price or performance wise), and honestly, it still is. It isn't the most powerful out there, but it saved a lot of from having to spend for an entire new system while enjoying a good experience overall. The value per dollar ratio without sacrificing new features and play quality just couldn't get beaten--until Nvidia outdid themselves with the 7600GS.

Everytime ATI ups the ante, Nvidia follows with its own response. ATI responds similarly when Nvidia takes king of the hill (sometimes). Don't you love competition? Good time to be a consumer! Fanboys of both sides, let the mud fly, and let the end-user reap the rewards!

Messages In This Thread
Gimme some input on my computer choice - by jahcs - 04-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Gimme some input on my computer choice - by jahcs - 04-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Gimme some input on my computer choice - by gekko - 04-08-2006, 01:36 AM
Gimme some input on my computer choice - by gekko - 04-09-2006, 04:12 AM
Gimme some input on my computer choice - by gekko - 04-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Gimme some input on my computer choice - by jahcs - 04-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Gimme some input on my computer choice - by gekko - 04-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Gimme some input on my computer choice - by jahcs - 04-12-2006, 04:06 AM
Gimme some input on my computer choice - by jahcs - 04-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Gimme some input on my computer choice - by Drasca - 04-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Gimme some input on my computer choice - by Tal - 05-03-2006, 03:53 PM