This year's E3
Anyone seeing anything that they really like? Anyone go?

Probably the game I am most excited about right now - Neverwinter Nights 2 - released a pretty short trailer that was nifty to see. Most of the new NWN2 info came in the form of pre-E3 video commentaries and gameplay videos, however. I'm playing through KotOR 2 right now and it's been excellent so far (minus a few bugs), plus Obsidian is basically "Black Isle Studios Part Deux" so I am very pumped for NWN2 (and the collaborative title with Sega in early development). It's too bad LucasArts forced the game out the door - it really could have used another month or two of polish and reading about the areas that got cut due to time constraints makes me sad :(

Mass Effect seems to be making a pretty strong impression as well. Actual aiming and destructable terrain? Wheee :) I must admit that I ran around in MechAssault primarily attempting to kill baddies via falling bridges and/or buildings, so I am partial towards destructable terrain. Also, as a heads up, Gamespot is going to be streaming the Mass Effect demo for an hour tomorrow (May 12th) starting at 2 PST.

BioWare is currently developing Dragon Age, Mass Effect (part one of a trilogy, to boot), a MMO, another unannounced next-gen title, and bringing Jade Empire to the PC. Wowzers. Anyone else remember these guys when they were just doing Baldur's Gate? Heh.

The second MGS4 trailer was of course pretty damn impressive. It seems quite likely that MGS4 is going to have a very strong influence on whether PS3 succeeds or not since Sony's pricing scheme is much higher ($600 for the "premium" unit, $200 more than the Xbox 360 premium system) and they are losing some PS2-exclusive developers or developers who had delayed releases for Xbox games (ex: GTA4 to be released simultaneously on PS3/360).

I'm really at a sort of crossroads right now on whether I'll be getting a 360 or a PS3. 360 has really failed to blow me out of the water as of yet... Dead or Alive 4 and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter have been really the only two games *right now* that make me want to play a 360 (and GRAW is coming out for the PC, so meh). Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, Call of Duty 2, and Project Gotham Racing 3 only seemed "okay". I'd rather play Oblivion on the PC. My buddy keeps telling me I need to play Far Cry so I'd probably pick up Far Cry Instincts Predator if I got a 360. That seems to be the story of Xbox 360 for me: the games are either "just okay" or I'd rather play them on a PC.

PS3 really failed to jump into the vacuum for me however... $600 for just a console and a controller? Holy beejeebus. Plus, the only PS3-exclusive games that are really exciting me at the moment are God of War 2, MGS4, and the occasional Square Enix RPG. If the rumor that Kojima may be supporting 360 afterall is true, then there's even less that's impressive about PS3. Sony's general snooty attitude and refusal to create a centralized online service à la Xbox Live is a detriment too. Then again, purchasing a PS3 would give me the opportunity to play all the PS2 games I missed (God of War, MGS3, Shadow of the Colossus). I had a hankerin' to play the original MGS the other day too, which I could not satiate.

I will most likely end up purchasing a 360 due to Mass Effect and Halo 3, but it's been kind of disappointing the way both companies have failed to adequately court my all-mighty dollar.

Other things that caught my eye:
Halo 3 was announced and a trailer was released along with it. [sarcasm] I know everyone is stunned that Halo 3 is under development. :blink: [/sarcasm] The big "wow" factor for me was that the trailer was not pre-rendered - very impressive.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl looked very solid: Solid Snake as a playable character! The idea of a cute Nintendog being used as a weapon to obscure the action is quite amusing as well. I was actually surprised in general what a strong showing the Wii (I still hate that name) had at E3.

I thought it was interesting that IGN rated Bioshock as perhaps the best game at E3. Enemies not really being "enemies", but rather just creatures attempting to live their lives out is sure an interesting twist on things as well.

I'd like to give Prey, Gears of War, and Spore a play as well. Each has some pretty unique elements that should be a lot of fun.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London

Messages In This Thread
This year's E3 - by Mithrandir - 05-11-2006, 11:59 PM
This year's E3 - by Chesspiece_face - 05-12-2006, 01:34 AM
This year's E3 - by Yrrek - 05-12-2006, 01:56 AM
This year's E3 - by DeeBye - 05-12-2006, 04:20 AM
This year's E3 - by Mithrandir - 05-12-2006, 07:30 AM
This year's E3 - by Mithrandir - 05-12-2006, 07:59 AM
This year's E3 - by roguebanshee - 05-12-2006, 08:31 AM
This year's E3 - by [wcip]Angel - 05-12-2006, 01:41 PM
This year's E3 - by Raelynn - 05-12-2006, 10:50 PM
This year's E3 - by Guest - 05-12-2006, 11:23 PM