What is a "world drop" and other questions...
I have many times seen "world drop" when it comes to items from monsters (and perahps chests and such but not sure) and was just wondering what it really is?

My understanding of the item creation in WoW is basically the following. Each monster has a predetermined small subset of items it drops, this can probably be shared by many other monsters too. This includes bosses (who seems to be alone on their specific subset though). In addition, the game at times instead (or in addition??) makes a world drop, which is basically a quite rare and valuable item from a world wide list of items. Basically this can thus be anything from any source (well, anything from the world list). Is this correct? Is the items on that list only on that list or can they be found otherwise as well? Can any monster drop from the world list?

More in detail, is there really any good more detailed explanation of how random items are created by the game? Many of the "good" items people look for from certain bosses and such seems to be predetermined and have set stats, nothing random, but then there is random items as well, how does those work? Are they from the world drop or is it something else?

Is there some guide somewere that goes into item drops, sources and such in more detail? I mean, what to look for, ehat exists, were to go and so on. I know there are database sites such as Allakhazam (spelling?), Thottbot and such, but they are basically just databases one can look up stuff in, not good sources for more "guidelike" information or more complete look over on what there exists.

An example would be my current Priest, he had decent items after doing some instances in the early 40-ies, now at 52, I can probably need some heavy upgrade on items I use, but were to look? And what alternatives exists from for example tailoring? What about enchanting, what too look for? What exists? Other things to consider?

Another example would be me hitting the AH, what can I expect to find if I am lucky? What should I keen an eye out for and so on.

Preferably I like printable information. Seems almost everything today is just online databases were you can look up stuff, which is useless except for just that, look up a specific item you know of or a specific boss to see what it drops, to look it all up takes ages (literally) and you still end up not really remember anything.

Leaving items aside, is there some good guide about how the game really works? The game itself is completely useless of course. Finding an item that gives "up to 12 extra healing" doesn't say anything since, for one, it does not at all add 12 to healing (or damage) but much less and varying with spells and so on. SO how on earth are one supposed to know if it is wort it or not? Is it better to have +12 healing and damage or +15 to int as a priest? (Soloing). What about that talent that increases your chance to score a critical hit by 1% (I assume it increases the chance from, say 4% to 5%, not from 4% to 4.04% although that is a more correct interpretation). Typically it looks as a waste of time when I first read it but appearantly it is not always soo. And what are the chances to resist a stun anyway? How else can I judge if an increase in 1% is good or not?

Well, I stop with questions now, I think you get the idea what type of information I am looking for :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Messages In This Thread
What is a "world drop" and other questions... - by Jarulf - 03-13-2006, 04:34 PM