Female rapist and murderer released from prison
This is pretty big news up here in Canada.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...nday050704.html

Karla Homolka was sentenced to 12 years in prison from participating in the rape and murder of 3 teenage girls, one of them being her own sister. The light sentence was a result of a plea bargain for her to testify against her husband/accomplice, Paul Bernardo. It was only after the deal was signed that we all found out was a gigantic psycho Karla Homolka really was.

All of the gruesome details can be read here.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers...do/index_1.html

Quote:It was all too good to be true. In 1990, Karla was engaged to a handsome, sophisticated professional accountant with money. It was going to be an incredible wedding: one that her family and friends would never forget.

She loved Paul very much. He was so unique and so very wild in bed. She would do absolutely anything to keep his love — anything at all.

What made this situation a little different than most engagements is that for several years Paul made outrageous demands on Karla — and Karla, just as outrageously, agreed to them.

Paul was very annoyed that Karla was not a virgin when he met her. It was, therefore, from his point of view, her responsibility to make it possible for Paul to take the virginity of Karla's pretty younger sister Tammy without her knowledge or consent. Once Karla accepted that logic, the rest was easy, even the idea of videotaping the whole thing seemed to make sense to her. After all, videotaping was a way to remember important events.

Karla worked in a veterinary clinic so she had a rudimentary knowledge of sedatives used for animals. The trick was figuring out what and how much to use to knock out Tammy so that Paul could rape her. Eventually, she decided on using halothane, an anesthetic which animals inhale before surgery.

Well, her 12 years are up and she was released today. The Canadian courts sure screwed this one up. No one really believed that this young, beautiful girl could have been a willing participant in such a horrible crime.

[Image: karla2iq.jpg]

(Paul Bernardo was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison. He also got tagged with the "Dangerous Offender" label, which means he can't ever get out of jail, thank god)

EDIT: Just an edit that there is an upcoming movie about this starring Laura Prepon (Donna from "That 70's Show). Here's the trailer. It makes me feel creepy.
http://deadlythemovie.com/trailer/trailer.htm
During her stay in prison her continued, willing association with criminal elements makes it clear - to me, at least - she has no place in society.

I think it is a shame she got off how she did, because I think everyone who has watched her story for over the past decade would agree she falls within these qualifications to mark her as a dangerous offender:
Quote:.... the most dangerous violent and sexual predators in the country...
as taken from the Criminal Code of Canada

Her interview on the news was in french, but CBC subtitled it for all the anglos. http://www.cbc.ca/clips/rm-newsworld/hom...u050704.rm

She appears to lack any emotions, and even claims herself, she doesn't completely understand why the Canadian public is so horrified and fascinated by her. After 12 years in prison, and riding from the prison to CBC in the trunk of a car, I'd expect some emotional reaction from her, but she looks like she's sedated.

I think it is unfortunate she was released back into public life, and happy the court hasn't bowed to her lawyer's demands of any more publicity bans.
Ninjadruid,Jul 4 2005, 11:05 PM Wrote:I think it is unfortunate she was released back into public life, and happy the court hasn't bowed to her lawyer's demands of any more publicity bans.
[right][snapback]82422[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, her attempt to squash any media coverage of her made me laugh. She gave that up when she raped and killed her sister.

I think that her life outside of prison is going to be a lot more uncomfortable than her life inside prison.
Joy. Thanks for the depressing link. Two bullets. Next?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Wow, sick #$%&s. Sure, people may come up with all kinds of explantions but it is disturbing to see humans with their ability to choose to degenerate into this kind of ... I don't have a word for it.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Jul 5 2005, 02:56 PM Wrote:Wow, sick #$%&s. Sure, people may come up with all kinds of explantions but it is disturbing to see humans with their ability to choose to degenerate into this kind of ... I don't have a word for it.
[right][snapback]82503[/snapback][/right]

Evil? Demon?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jul 5 2005, 01:57 PM Wrote:Evil?  Demon?

Occhi
[right][snapback]82504[/snapback][/right]

Maybe. But something even more insidous than that. I'll just stick with depravity for now.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Jul 5 2005, 04:37 PM Wrote:Maybe. But something even more insidous than that. I'll just stick with depravity for now.
[right][snapback]82511[/snapback][/right]

I have not found anything more insidious than a demon. Tell me when you find it; I'd like to pay it a visit.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Jul 5 2005, 05:04 PM Wrote:I have not found anything more insidious than a demon. Tell me when you find it; I'd like to pay it a visit.
[right][snapback]82515[/snapback][/right]

I'll be right beside you.

Scientific reasons I assure you. I am curious to see what a Smith & Wesson 500 would do to a demonic entity or like creature.

Just curious really. Always wanted to be like a certain wizard and have a go at a Balrog.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
I'm sure she's just a sweet, innocent, and misunderstood soul. :whistling:
Signature? What do you mean?
Any1,Jul 5 2005, 06:57 PM Wrote:I'm sure she's just a sweet, innocent, and misunderstood soul.  :whistling:
[right][snapback]82544[/snapback][/right]

So was Lilith. :unsure:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jul 6 2005, 04:23 AM Wrote:So was Lilith.  :unsure:

Occhi
[right][snapback]82560[/snapback][/right]

Adam's initial mate (Lilith) was composed of filth and sediment instead of pure dust, so she was more of a demoness. Her betrayal and subsequent evil (wasn't she giving birth to demons at the rate of more than 100/day) was foreseeable, unlike the character in this sordid tale.

Any1,Jul 6 2005, 10:28 AM Wrote:Adam's initial mate (Lilith) was composed of filth and sediment instead of pure dust, so she was more of a demoness.  Her betrayal and subsequent evil (wasn't she giving birth to demons at the rate of more than 100/day) was foreseeable, unlike the character in this sordid tale.
[right][snapback]82617[/snapback][/right]

Lilith = Demon. That was the point of comparison. Demoniacal behavior being the parallel.

For those who worship Lilith as the Goddess Queen of the Dykes, the comparison will not resonate, since the felon in question hardly exhibited Goddess like behavior.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Can somebody with some weight tell Occhi to clean up his language? Or at least tell him to do some research before counting somebody's opinion as fact?
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Jul 6 2005, 09:43 PM Wrote:Can somebody with some weight tell Occhi to clean up his language? Or at least tell him to do some research before counting somebody's opinion as fact?
[right][snapback]82661[/snapback][/right]

I'm not sure that this thread is the best place for your post, Count Duckula. If you were addressing me, then it seems like an email or private message would work best. If you are addressing Occhi, then email or PM would also work. You could even draft one message and send it to us both, so that we could discuss this together without it turning into a mess here.

I originally thought that you were objecting to Occhi's use of the word dyke, which took me by surprise since (at least out west) I don't often hear it used in a perjorative sense. I know that I wouldn't personally use it, but I'm not sure that it's a word that I would ban outright from the forums- I'd look at intent. Here, Occhi comes across as blunt, but not necessarily insulting, at least in my read of things.

But, your "do some research" line makes me wonder if there's something else. I believe that Occhi was saying that the murderer Karla was hardly a goddess, not that Lilith didn't qualify as one. If you assumed he was saying that Lilith shouldn't be considered a Goddess, then that would certainly be a different story (but a closer inspection of his post should show that that's not the case).

One of my first encounters with Occhi was before we had any moderators here. Somebody made some comments that I felt were inappropriate, and I said so. Occhi jumped in, pointing out that I really didn't have any authority (at the time) to tell other posters what they could and could not say. It was Bolty's house and Bolty's rules, even though (at the time) Bolty was out of town.

But, that didn't mean that forum members didn't have any ability to help set the guidelines for themselves. Occhi suggested the equivalent of the "would you kiss your mother with that mouth" approach, rather than the "you can't say that" approach. Neither statement is to be taken literally, of course, but as guidelines for a way to approach others.

It actually turned into a pretty good discussion. I know I gained a lot of respect for Occhi during the exchange, even though I disagreed with him and I think there was some name-calling involved. I'd like to think that the respect gained was mutual.

The thing is, neither you, nor I, nor Occhi are likely to be leaving here soon. So, we're going to have to find a way to live together. He does sometimes cross the line, and I let him know when I feel that has happened. I sometimes cross the line in my use of moderator abilities, although I try not to. In return, I have the opportunity to look at things from his point of view, which in many cases is very different than my own.

It would be really nice if the two of you were able to talk to one another (in private) and come to a mutual understanding, if not an agreement. If not, you may have to live with some of the bluntness of Occhi's comments. Occhi will have to learn to live with your outrage when he makes those comments. I do take your concerns seriously and have acted on them in the past. But, I have no desire to get in the middle of a disagreement between the two of you.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you are able to turn this into something constructive.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Count Duckula,Jul 7 2005, 05:43 PM Wrote:Can somebody with some weight tell Occhi to clean up his language? Or at least tell him to do some research before counting somebody's opinion as fact?

I'm not sure what you are talking about, and it doesn't seem there has been any editing done in this thread...
Count Duckula,Jul 6 2005, 10:43 PM Wrote:Can somebody with some weight tell Occhi to clean up his language? Or at least tell him to do some research before counting somebody's opinion as fact?

Hi. I am right here. Lilith Fair. Nuff said. There is a motorcycle club in SF that calls itself "Dykes on Bikes." Are we going to play double standard with language here?

http://www.sfwmc.org/ For your edification.

Cheers. :wacko:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
I am lost. Ducky is upset, Occhi is defending himself, and Gris wrote one of the longest posts I have seen from her in a long time.

And I still don't know exactly what is going on. What's the big deal exactly?
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jul 7 2005, 06:17 AM Wrote:I am lost. Ducky is upset, Occhi is defending himself, and Gris wrote one of the longest posts I have seen from her in a long time.

[right][snapback]82677[/snapback][/right]

Nothing.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Doc,Jul 7 2005, 12:17 PM Wrote:I am lost. Ducky is upset, Occhi is defending himself, and Gris wrote one of the longest posts I have seen from her in a long time.

[right][snapback]82677[/snapback][/right]

I believe Occhi alluded to Lilith sometimes being a symbol of sorts for the Lesbian community. This probably is because (according to mythology) Lilith did not want to be subject to Adam's will and desires. She wanted to be treated as an equal in everyway. My knowledge of Jewish mysticism and lore is next to nill, so my apologies if I'm way off.

Count Duckula I believe took exception to the use of the word "Dyke".

I live in the San Fran bay area and although gay people refer to themselves as "fag", "queer", and "dyke", it is generally unacceptable from someone whose not part of the community to use these terms. The same issue with the N-word and the African-American community.