Star Wars Episode 3
Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader.

You heard it here first :shuriken:
Curses! You ruined the movie for me. :blink:
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I am going to start wounding you now.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
DeeBye,May 18 2005, 07:53 PM Wrote:Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader.

You heard it here first  :shuriken:
[right][snapback]77839[/snapback][/right]
News flash, buddy: The Republic is destroyed, and this evil sort of empire forms up in its place.

The bad guys win.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
DeeBye,May 18 2005, 10:53 PM Wrote:Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader.

You heard it here first  :shuriken:
[right][snapback]77839[/snapback][/right]

Oh god no! And only half an hour before I'm going to go see it! :(

Why, DeeBye? WHY? :blink:

(I predict it to be pretty bad, don't have much faith in Lucas after the last two)
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Just got back from seeing it.

By this point there's no use in 'reviewing' it, since it really has become it's own thing. Having said that, I did enjoy it. Better than ep 1 and 2, goes great with the Clone War cartoons.

I still think some of the CGI lacked weight in some moments, and some of the digitized clones looks a bit too plastic. But I can overlook all of that, since it has more action and a bit of that magic that made me like the original trilogy.

All in all, worth the price of my ticket. Jar Jar estimated screen time: 2-3 seconds. Non talking scenes. Glorious non talking scenes.
Hammerskjold,May 19 2005, 04:39 PM Wrote:But I can overlook all of that, since it has more action and a bit of that magic that made me like the original trilogy. 
[right][snapback]77960[/snapback][/right]

A bit is right. It's better than Episodes 1 and 2, but doesn't stand up to the originals.

The dialogue was especially bad at some points (I mean, really - "Sith Lords are our speciality" ?) and the Trade Federation droids were hideously annoying (I really really hated the way they did 3 Stooges-like effects as they 'died'), but most of the fight/battle scenes were really well done. Well, except for Mace Windo vs. Palpatine (that fight was clumsier than Obi-Wan vs Vader in A New Hope) and Yoda vs Palpatine (I'm sorry, Yoda is not the "hop around like a pregnant cat on acid' type).

The acting was okay for the most part, considering what the actors had to work with (Sam Jackson and the guy playing Palpatine were excellent, but hampered by their lines), with the notable exception of Hayden Christenson. That boy couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag, and he seems to be able to do two emotions: stoned and whining.

Worth a viewing, but not a purchase.

>A bit is right. It's better than Episodes 1 and 2, but doesn't stand up to the originals.

If I were to rank it, and it really is a personal preference. I find the Clone War toons to be the best thing that came out of this prequel business. There are some flashes of great stuff in ep 3 and I don't just mean whiz bang SFX, but yes most of it is due to giving nods to the originals. Maybe I'm more biased that I am satisfied that there's some type of closure to this franchise. (Ha, famous last words.)

I rather liked Ep 3. It was way better than 1 and 2. I was really disappointed with General Grievous. Obi Wan pwned his droid ass easily. I was hoping for more of a fight. Too bad they killed off Darth Maul in Ep 1. Now he was an awesome bad guy.

Anakin's descent to the dark side was so sad. All he wants to do is save Padme from certain doom, but he truly becomes a very evil man in the process (oh no poor younglings :( ). Having the Emperor tell him that he killed Padme was just the twisting of the knife.

All in all it ties the series up pretty neatly. The originals were better, but Ep 3 salvages the prequel trilogy a little bit.

One little beef: I was hoping that Anakin's lightsaber would turn red when he joined the dark side. Seeing him battle Obi Wan with a blue saber just looked wrong.
Horrible movie. Nearing the end of the movie i actually thought i must be coming down with a case of dementia because it couldn't be as bad as i thought it was. Then Darth Vader did his Frankenstien walk and I literally blurted "What the F___?!" When the people around me didn't glare at me and hiss but instead laughed and clapped a bit I understood it wasn't just me.
DeeBye,May 19 2005, 08:14 PM Wrote:One little beef:  I was hoping that Anakin's lightsaber would turn red when he joined the dark side.  Seeing him battle Obi Wan with a blue saber just looked wrong.
[right][snapback]77990[/snapback][/right]

Well, there's really no reason for it to change. It's just a piece of technology, not magical or anything. Anakin simply had to replace his blue focusing crystal with a red one, but after he pledged loyalty to Palpatine he was a rather busy little Sith. :ph34r:

Also, I'm sure none of the dialogue was altered to be more 'current.' O noes Palpatine is killing DEMOCRACY!!1! Anakin is KILLING CHILDREN!!

It just seems like a few things were thrown in there gratuitously because they could be considered ties to current events. :blink:
WarLocke,May 19 2005, 08:41 PM Wrote:Also, I'm sure none of the dialogue was altered to be more 'current.'  O noes Palpatine is killing DEMOCRACY!!1!  Anakin is KILLING CHILDREN!!

[right][snapback]77995[/snapback][/right]

Actually i would have been wonderfully happy if they said "Anakin is killing Children!"

Instead they insisted on calling them "Younglings" what the hell is this? I could understand if all kids in the SW universe were referred to this way but they didn't run around saying "Anakin i'm pregnant i'm gonna have a youngling!" They said baby! Also why didn't they just say "Anakin killed all the padawans!" Thats what they were! Why force this obsurd term? BAD BAD BAD dialogue!
Chesspiece_face,May 19 2005, 09:46 PM Wrote:Instead they insisted on calling them "Younglings"  what the hell is this?
[right][snapback]77996[/snapback][/right]

I think that's just the affectionate term Yoda uses for the Jedi children, and it caught on with everyone else. Not all children are called younglings, just the ones in Jedi training.
WarLocke,May 19 2005, 09:41 PM Wrote:Well, there's really no reason for it to change.  It's just a piece of technology, not magical or anything.  Anakin simply had to replace his blue focusing crystal with a red one, but after he pledged loyalty to Palpatine he was a rather busy little Sith.  :ph34r:
[right][snapback]77995[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I know, but it still looked wrong to me. A red lightsaber adds 287% more evil. That's a fact.
DeeBye,May 19 2005, 08:54 PM Wrote:Yeah I know, but it still looked wrong to me.  A red lightsaber adds 287% more evil.  That's a fact.
[right][snapback]77999[/snapback][/right]

Yeah and red eyes only add 5% evil and 0% character.
DeeBye,May 19 2005, 08:53 PM Wrote:I think that's just the affectionate term Yoda uses for the Jedi children, and it caught on with everyone else.  Not all children are called younglings, just the ones in Jedi training.
[right][snapback]77997[/snapback][/right]

Well if i was challanging my spouse to tell the truth about whether they did, or did not, kill a bunch of kids I think I would use a little more forceful approach than to refer to the slaughtered youths with a smarmy, cutesy label.
Hahahahaha!

http://toolofsatan.org
DeeBye,May 19 2005, 09:30 PM Wrote:Hahahahaha!

http://toolofsatan.org
[right][snapback]78003[/snapback][/right]

LOLOL. I love how they have Ads at the top of the site for Star Wars memorabilia.
Blue on blue has more importance than you think. It's the only time in Star Wars History that two Jedis battled with the same coloured lightsabres. It is because it's the only time in history that an apprentice challenged his teacher. The apprentice is meant to carry the same coloured blade as his teacher. We already know from A New Hope and Anakin used a blue lightsabre.

Not all Sith use a red blade, but it is traditional. Red uses more energy, burns hotter, drains the power supply faster, burns bright and fades away. Good Jedis have used red, but it is frowned upon. Not only is it a reminder of the Sith, but such an expendature of energy is considered wasteful. So a cooler more balanced hue is favoured. Electrum, or the famed purple blade, like that used by Mace Windu, is exceptionally dangerous because of the damaging electromagnetic fields that it generates. Had Luke used electrum to make a nice purple lightsabre, he would have trashed Lord Vader. All of his machinery would have been a liability rather than an asset.

Sith also use black lightsabres. It's like a hole cut into inky darkness. The technology used to make these feared blades has been lost forever. The Jedi council destroyed the Sith holocube that contained the information to make these. These black blades could slice through other lightsabres. I guess they worked a bit like a black hole stretched into a blade.

Help me... For I am geeky.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,May 19 2005, 10:47 PM Wrote:Blue on blue has more importance than you think. It's the only time in Star Wars History that two Jedis battled with the same coloured lightsabres.
[right][snapback]78007[/snapback][/right]

I guess that battling with the same coloured lightsabers does reinforce the idea of how truly gutwrenching it must have been for Obi Wan to fight his apprentice. He was like a brother to him. Point taken.

I'm sitting here staring at my LEGO Darth Vader and really wishing that they had shown Vader with a red lightsaber in Ep 3. I don't mean to beat this to death. It was a minor annoyance for me, but Vader is not Vader without his red saber.

I have no idea where you are getting the properties of the lightsaber colours from. As far as I can tell it has always just been a personal preference for the wielder.

edit:
Quote:It is because it's the only time in history that an apprentice challenged his teacher.

Also, I don't think this is correct. According to sources like KOTOR and the novelizations, Jedis regularly challenged their masters when they fell to the dark side.