We're all going to die before easter
Hail whyBish,

Actually, I think Kenya is a team of the future: they have the potential to become the next Sri Lanka, and I know I am not the only one to be saying that.

Anywho, that final against India was a bit of a joke: I had said we'd score 350 for a laugh...but I never would have imagined we'd put 359 on the board. Oh well, chalk up another World Cup victory for Australia: first nation to do it three times :)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I think Australia is a team of the future ;P Not sure what you mean about Kenya being the next Sri Lanka since they lost to Kenya. However, the new tiered tournament system should geive many of the 'minnows' a boost.

Congrats on the win. Personally I think Australia A would've been second if they'd been allowed to enter. I am interested in how much difference it would've made if the venue for th whole cup had been elsewhere... I think Aus would still have won, but I doubt that India would have been their opponent in the final.

Ah well, all the Kiwis are happy we beat South Africa in South Africa... even Aussie can't claim that (in this World cup) :P
gaidensensei,Mar 22 2003, 06:06 AM Wrote:All these things just come and go..

Do you remember the proposed Death Star - Planet X whatever proposement by some fellow last year, who said we're going to die this May or June 2003? 
I just suddenly remembered about it.  I couldn't find the link to the originating site (perhaps they shut it down?) on the complete coverup, so I found some other site instead for those who haven't heard of this yet:

http://timedwards.www2.50megs.com/articles...athstar2003.htm

anyways, IMO it's just a load of dung.  Maybe last year and half ago when I first heard about it, I did think it was real, though.
I suppose it's just our world that seems to have this thing about mass death every now
That was a very interesting article, but I remember hearing about "planet x" and I'm almost positive it was about the size of Pluto or a tiny bit larger, not 4x as big as jupiter! I don't think whoever wrote that has any clue what they're talking about. But it was still on interesting read.

On a side note, the Aztecs preticted the end of the world in 2012 :D
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Hail whyBish,

I compared Kenya to Sri Lanka because, not so long ago, they were a minow nation: they were not expected to win anything at all. Then, from nowhere, they won the World Cup - only *host* nation to ever win the World Cup too. Immediately, they became an international power. Today, they are hot and cold: sometimes they can play as well as the best; others they are horrid. A perfect example was this summer: Sri Lanka played Australia A, and were bowled out within 25 overs (twice: because the match was over in 3 hours, they came out and played a second game)...three days later, they beat Australia quite convinginly. Of cause, that was the last time we were beaten in an ODI - we've had a record-setting string of wins since ;) Anywho, the point is Sri Lanka came from nowhere, and are now a side to watch.

India? They only lost two matches: both against us. They are a powerful side, but the current Australian side is so far above the rest of the world, it's not funny. Heck, if you can score at 8 and over, and *lose* a match, you've played amazingly well, but were beaten by a side that is at another level above you. If Australia A had played too, it would have been interesting... Reminds me of the first summer where Australia A played. I forget which nations were here, but the point of the matter was in the 4-way series they held, it came to an Australia v Australia A final, and Australia A actually played well enough that they came close to victory. Of cause, that Australia A side was full of experienced players who had only recently retired; the modern Australia A side is mostly made up of young players who are on the way up, but have little International experience.

As for beating South Africa at home, we did that last year: flogged them in both the Tests and the ODI series. We almost always do: they technically may be the #2 side in the world, but when they go against us, they have no confidence, and collapse horridly. I personally consider New Zealand a threatening nation: Flemming has realised the only way to beat Australia is ot fight fire with fire, and tries to get his guys to match us. As long as we still have our current line-up, we're OK...but in a few years time, I think New Zealand may be in a better situation to have a go at us.
On a side note, the Aztecs preticted the end of the world in 2012

Not the end of the world, but the end of the Fourth World. B)

There will be worldwide epidemics, volcanoes in Japan will blow their tops, and an unprecedented new computer virus will fry the brains of deckers everywhere.

I think I'm a spike baby.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
They turned my killer virus thread into cricket discussion! :blink:
*cries*
Lol, poor Dani.

On a semi-related note(on-topic, kinda), the SARS could have come from me. About a year back I had this really horrid respiratory ailment that lasted about a month, during which time I had severe coughs(nearly impossible to sleep, and a headache afterwards), a nose that ran like you wouldn't believe(before I emptied out the trash, I think I finished 2 whole boxes of kleenex), and my vision was extremely blurred due to the coughing fits. I don't think I'll ever be the same either, probably tore some small holes in my lungs from the coughs.
Hail Dani,

That's because everything, in the end, comes down to Cricket - it's a well cited fact ;)
Could that be related to the tragic fate of the planet Krikkit? ;)

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Ahh, quoting the late Dougie Adams... :/
AtomicKitKat,Mar 27 2003, 11:14 AM Wrote:Ahh, quoting the late Dougie Adams... :/
We'll all be "late" soon as the...Killer Virus ™ is getting second legs. Students in canada are wearing masks. Women's hockey world cup in China has been cancelled. Rolling Stones cancelled HK tour. More than hundred new victims every day.
The Killer Virus will get us all!

SARS SARS that's our germ!
Make us fear, cause panic!
Kill us, Maim us and we will learn!
The deathtoll will be titanic!

S is for Severe
A is for Acute
R is for Respiratory
S is for Syndrome

S A R S

Gooooooooo! SARS!

*cough*
Elric of Grans,Mar 24 2003, 10:51 PM Wrote:but in a few years time, I think New Zealand may be in a better situation to have a go at us.
... I've been hearing that same thing ever since I started watching cricket ;)

The India thing wasn't a dig at them, more at the pitches which are a lot more batter (gender-neutral - not softball term, or any link to slogger) friendly. Compare their performances with those in their recent tour of NZ.
Impending war? and I thought it already started? Or maybe I'm just an idiot who doesn't know what impending means :)
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Hi,

Look at the date of the post you are responding to. Now, think back to when the war actually started. Now look up "impending". To answer your question, yes. But not just because you don't know what "impending" means.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Reminds me of the immortal quote on the DSF that made me open all Pete posts on that little corner of the world.

In response to a resident genius . . .

"If life were fair, I'd be happy and you'd be dead."

Some lines just stick in the memory . . .

"Frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn!"

I like your line better. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Easter comes back every year, but each of us doesn't necessarily do so.

(IOW, you'll die before Easter 3000.)
Do you live near Toronto?

I guess I'd be worried, especially for my children. From what I've read so far, this one is very bad. It appears to be a newly mutated coronavirus, most likely from a mammalian coronavirus (possibly Porcine Respiratory Coronavirus). So we humans have no immunity whatsoever to this new virus strain. It has all the characteristics neccesary to become a pandemic, its seems to be spread as easily as the common cold.

I think we will see it sweep through undeveloped countries throughout the summer, with occasional outbreaks within the developed world that will be contained with quarantine and hospitalization. But, Dani, you may be more prophet that you know. As for Allah, it would seem then so far that he has something against the Chinese, Koreans, and Canadians. Toronto is just a stones throw from New York, and from there is would go everywhere. Sounds like Vietnam, Singapore, and Thailand are next. But, I think within a few months we will see that it will be the poor that will be dying in huge numbers.

As an aside; during Gulf War I started work on a huge oil painting which includes the betrayal of the Kurds and Shiites, the oil well fires, and the chaotic swirl of the central theme is dominated by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I never finished it, but now I think I may.

CDC - SARS Fact Sheet
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Dani,Mar 18 2003, 08:54 PM Wrote:Killer flu has reached around the globe now. How far does your paranoia go? Have you changed the side of the road when you see a person sneezing yet? Isolated family members with cold?
Is this the plague of biblical dimensions?
Is this the wrath of Allah?

But seriously, I'm kinda concerned about this killer pneumonia.
Saw an interesting snippet on Public Television tonight that pointed to a theory that one doctor of diseases holds regarding the vector that moves SARS around: cockroaches.

She and others apparently traced the affliction back to an apartment block in China, a large one, and have proposed that the only way that the whole of that block's population could have gotten it was via roaches. Not sure how strongly supported that theory is, but is seems plausible.

So, squash a roach today. :) It could save your life.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
MEAT,Mar 23 2003, 11:52 PM Wrote:
gaidensensei,Mar 22 2003, 06:06 AM Wrote:All these things just come and go..

Do you remember the proposed Death Star - Planet X whatever proposement by some fellow last year, who said we're going to die this May or June 2003? 
I just suddenly remembered about it.  I couldn't find the link to the originating site (perhaps they shut it down?) on the complete coverup, so I found some other site instead for those who haven't heard of this yet:

http://timedwards.www2.50megs.com/articles...athstar2003.htm

anyways, IMO it's just a load of dung.  Maybe last year and half ago when I first heard about it, I did think it was real, though.
I suppose it's just our world that seems to have this thing about mass death every now
That was a very interesting article, but I remember hearing about "planet x" and I'm almost positive it was about the size of Pluto or a tiny bit larger, not 4x as big as jupiter! I don't think whoever wrote that has any clue what they're talking about. But it was still on interesting read.

On a side note, the Aztecs preticted the end of the world in 2012 :D
Didn't they say the world was gonna end at the beginning of this milenium? I'm waiting. :P

That was a funny read. Yes, planets are giant magnets! :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
And here I was thinking that you were questioning Dani's sobriety! :D
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II