Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux
If you get a chance, I recommend the latest Captain Jack Sparrow story. It was a load of fun, even if it was a bit long. (Two hours and 30 minutes.) If you can make a matinee show, why not save a buck or two? A few of the monsters lean to Peter Jackson's "gross" style. I would not take little ones to this show. The PG13 rating is spot on.

Its position as the first of two sequels does it some damage, IMO. It has to leave some plot elements unresolved for the next movie. The first film did not suffer from that shortcoming. It had an ending, not a cliffhanger last scene.

FWIW: Read the review at the Philadelphia Daily News for a laugh. A number of the rottentomatoes reviews grimace at the film's length and plot. The best short review was:
"Rum, monotany, and the lash."

That made me chortle. The tone in the "splat" reviews was that the production team, writers, and director had rather buggered the film. Sir Winston would likely agree. :whistling:

Some very mild spoilers.

1. The early story with various natives, pirates, escapes, bamboo, and coconuts seemed to me to be set on a South Sea Island. The multi-thousand foot volcanic cliffs and mountains had the look and feel of the Pacific, not the Caribbean. They shot at beautiful locations in any case.

2. Good voodoo witch lady.

3. The heroine seemed a little stiff.

4. The mixing of legends and mythologies was done, IMO, to exercise the SFX muscles. I didn't care for the story side of it, but the SFX crew pulled it off nicely.

5. Norrington's new place in life was a pleasant surprise.

6. Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow, the rascal of dubious moral backbone, was again a pleasure to behold.

7. Orlando BLoom's Will Turner seemed better fleshed out than in the first film.

8. Good SFX and music over all.

9. Some good jokes.

What was lacking:

a. An editor. Film was too long. Some of the fat was in the early "rescue" scene, but any number of actions scenes dragged on.

b. Good swordfighting. The duel / truel near the end was silly.

c. Substance for Elizabeth's role.

d. A reason Davy Jones, or any of his sailors, ever needs to sleep. Slight plot hole there. :P

e. Breading to fry up the Kraken for a nice dish of Krakamari. That would feed Port Royal for a month or so, I think, and go nicely with the beer and rum served at the tavern. :lol:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Is it a bad PG13?

I am going to be hauling a bus load of church sponsored summer camp kids to see this in a few more days. There was a lot of heated words on taking a bunch of 9 to 15 year olds to see a PG13 movie... PG13 is just one step away from Satan's ultimate evil according to the fundies... And there is the fact that pirates and zombies and what not are not exactly Christian concepts. Bah, fundies! I know I am going to be taking some flack for this, however, if it is a bad PG13 flick, I'll probably be stoned or something. Or condemed to hell yet again.

Plan to dress all of the kids up as pirates. It'll be fun if the parents don't ruin it.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:Is it a bad PG13?

I am going to be hauling a bus load of church sponsored summer camp kids to see this in a few more days. There was a lot of heated words on taking a bunch of 9 to 15 year olds to see a PG13 movie... PG13 is just one step away from Satan's ultimate evil according to the fundies... And there is the fact that pirates and zombies and what not are not exactly Christian concepts. Bah, fundies! I know I am going to be taking some flack for this, however, if it is a bad PG13 flick, I'll probably be stoned or something. Or condemed to hell yet again.

Plan to dress all of the kids up as pirates. It'll be fun if the parents don't ruin it.

I think you might run into some issues. one of the first scenes involves crows plucking out a dead mans eyes.
Quote:I think you might run into some issues. one of the first scenes involves crows plucking out a dead mans eyes.

:w00t:That is going to be awesome!:w00t:Remember in the original Diablo the cinematic with the crow pecking out somebody's eyes?

Yeah, that could be an issue. Not sure why though, since most of the fundies I know dragged their kids of all ages to see the Jesus Chainsaw Massacre. Er, Passion of the Christ.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:Yeah, that could be an issue. Not sure why though, since most of the fundies I know dragged their kids of all ages to see the Jesus Chainsaw Massacre. Er, Passion of the Christ.

It's not unreasonable at all for parents to want to have control over whether or not their 9 year old kid sees a particular PG13 movie. It may be odd that they would choose to let their kids watch one violent movie and not another, but it probably should be their choice to make and not yours. I'd say that would be true whether this was a church camp, a school field trip, a travelling soccer team, or anything else.
My 8-year-old loved it. Of course, she's also seen (and enjoyed) all three Lord of the Rings films, plus King Kong on the small screen, so this one wasn't breaking any new ground for her in terms of violence or grossness (and there is almost no sexual content that I can think of). I think King Kong had a lot more "not sure if I really want my kid seeing this" moments than Pirates did. YMMV.

Overall, I liked the movie. It was a lot of fun, and didn't pretend to be anything else. I'm not a huge Orlando Bloom person, so did get a chuckle out of this New York Times review snippet: "Mr. Bloom, as is his custom, leaps about, trying to overcome his incurable blandness, and is upstaged by special effects, musical cues, octopus tentacles and pieces of wood."

Luckily, any movie with Johnny Depp, special effects, musical cues, octopus tentacles, and pieces of wood (giant waterwheel FTW!) has a lot going for it already, and doesn't need to rely upon Bloom to sell tickets.:)

Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Quote:It's not unreasonable at all for parents to want to have control over whether or not their 9 year old kid sees a...

I'm not so sure about that, whether the following be a movie or anything else. It certainly is within both the parents' rights and powers (at least in America) to control such issues, but I don't know that reason has anything to do with it. A lot of parents (both good and bad) are completely unreasonable when it comes to what their kids can and cannot do.

Quote:My 8-year-old loved it. Of course, she's also seen (and enjoyed) all three Lord of the Rings films, plus King Kong on the small screen, so this one wasn't breaking any new ground for her in terms of violence or grossness (and there is almost no sexual content that I can think of).

Glad that sexual part was at least restricted to parentheses. The fact that it's often considered on the same level as, or even above violence in terms of being bad for kids is both mind-boggling and frightening. Guess that's mostly an American thing, though?

An eight-year-old enjoyed Lord of the Rings. Good for her. I had a major beef with people bringing their kids to that one in theaters. Had nothing to do with the violence (that's their call, not mine), but the plot was probably too steep for them, and three hour long movies are NOT for most eight-year-olds. Completely ruined it for me. There was a kid sitting right next to me playing with the lights in his shoes for at least eighty percent of the movie. Talking was near-constant. I think it's a local issue, though. Even "in town" is way the heck out in the middle of nowhere here, and movies are just about all it offers in terms of entertainment, family or otherwise, even if they are overpriced.

Quote:Luckily, any movie with Johnny Depp, special effects, musical cues, octopus tentacles, and pieces of wood (giant waterwheel FTW!) has a lot going for it already, and doesn't need to rely upon Bloom to sell tickets. smile.gif

I'm not sure how much I like Johnny Depp. I think he's done some genius work, but I also think he's had some genius writing behind him. And I know my view is tainted by living in a house full of females that are friggin' crazy about him. My devil's advocate role comes out there. At least he's got some range, which is less than can be said of most other such beaus. I know Tom Cruise has taken a lot of flak lately, but he's a really good example of this. The man plays the exact same character in every single movie he's ever been in. He's very good at playing said character, but I don't think that makes him a particularly good actor.

Anyway, none of those things make a movie by themselves, but in concert, I think I can see what you're talking about.

I have not seen this one (yet, anyway), likely because I know it will be both overpriced and hard to watch with kids running up and down the aisles and screaming through the whole thing. I fear, however, that it will suffer from 'sequel syndrome', which gets even worse if it's part two of three. I guess it's a good marketing ploy to leave some of that cliffhanging at the end, but it sure as hell doesn't make for a better movie. But then...that's not why the majority of movies are created. The only notable exception here is Back to the Future. The second movie was genius. But so were the other two.

Wow, I'm good at going off-topic.

--me
My point of view on the issue is that kids should have fun, and adults should not project their idiotic hangups on their kids. All within reason of course... A PG13 movie about pirates is one thing... Some movie like Saw II or Hostel is a whole nother issue... It is not good to fence kids in. Warps them. Who knows, the movie may fire up their imagination and make them want to read books about pirates, which would be a good thing. (Or maybe a bad thing... Fundies don't like pirate books do they?) Classics like Treasure Island maybe... I plan on making a book list for them to check stuff out at the library.

That, and church sanctioned violence, for the lack of a better word, really bugs me. These are the same parents that bitch, piss, and moan about the frigging Power Rangers and violence on TV, but also dragged their five year olds and kids of of all ages to see the Jesus Chainsaw Massacre.

Of course, I was raised on the Three Stooges... So I know all about violence on tv. And I was around when the Muppets brough Sex and Violence to TV.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
This movie is pretty much three stooges in terms of slapstick comedy, gags and violence (YMMV). That however, is not a bad thing :DThe movie, for the most part, was one gag after another for me. However, I rather find old octopus face rather cute and clean, especially compared to his compatriots and the prior movie's decaying undead. He's very cleanly! Of course, I grew up on Nature, Wild America and Nova PBS shows, so I don't believe such creatures are disgusting, shocking or horrific, but completely natural and downright normal.

I liked the movie. It did its job.
Hi,

The reason I mentioned both the sex and violence was that I was trying to provide information that might help Doc decide whether it was a "bad" PG-13 or not. I almost mentioned the rum, not that I have any problem with my kid knowing about alcohol, but because its a factor that others might consider in deciding if the movie was appropriate for their children.

I know I've told the story of how my daughter came to see the Lord of the Rings here before, so hopefully those who don't want to read it again will skip to the next post.:)

Anyway, we didn't take her to see the Fellowship when it came out. We got a sitter and went to see it ourselves. Some time after that, I was listening to the soundtrack, and she started asking questions about what was happening in the movie during the different parts of the soundtrack. So, I told her the story. She had trouble keeping track of all the characters, so I got out an old Middle Earth RPG box to show her, and she proceeded to act out the story with the picture from the box and my wedding ring (heh).

It probably would have ended there, but she kept talking about the story. She would think of some aspect that she didn't remember or didn't understand, and would ask questions. So, we talked about it quite a bit.

That summer, we took a long car ride, and ShadowHM was kind enough to lend us her BBC radio version of the Lord of the Rings, plus The Hobbit IIRC. (The BBC version is very well done, by the way. I especially like the BBC version of Galadriel. It's also funny that the BBC version left out Tom Bombadil as well). It was the perfect thing for a long car ride, as it was something that we all enjoyed.

She was still interested in the story, so we read The Hobbit to her. When the Fellowship came out on DVD, we watched it together at home. By that point, it was December (or close to it), and the Two Towers was coming out. We went to see it once without her, but she was really interested in the movie and wanted to go. So, we saw it again, and took her with us.

Naturally, we didn't have a problem with her being bored or playing with her shoes or anything during the movie. She knows that if she wants to get taken to future movies, she'd better not act like that in the theatre, plus she was familiar with the story and interested in seeing it.

I do know several kids who get taken to horror movies and stuff like that, and I don't support that sort of thing. But, I guess it's important to keep in mind that not all kids in PG-13 movies are bored or traumatized by the experience.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Quote:My point of view on the issue is that kids should have fun, and adults should not project their idiotic hangups on their kids. All within reason of course... A PG13 movie about pirates is one thing... Some movie like Saw II or Hostel is a whole nother issue... It is not good to fence kids in. Warps them. Who knows, the movie may fire up their imagination and make them want to read books about pirates, which would be a good thing. (Or maybe a bad thing... Fundies don't like pirate books do they?) Classics like Treasure Island maybe... I plan on making a book list for them to check stuff out at the library.

That, and church sanctioned violence, for the lack of a better word, really bugs me. These are the same parents that bitch, piss, and moan about the frigging Power Rangers and violence on TV, but also dragged their five year olds and kids of of all ages to see the Jesus Chainsaw Massacre.

Of course, I was raised on the Three Stooges... So I know all about violence on tv. And I was around when the Muppets brough Sex and Violence to TV.
They are not your kids. Respect the parents's wishes or get out of the business of taking groups of kids anywhere.

That said, most 11 and up these days could easily handle the movie without too much trouble, unless gross monsters freak them out. My son hated Hulk, and Harry Potter II, due to the monster dogs and the spiders, when he first saw the films at 11.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:The reason I mentioned both the sex and violence was that I was trying to provide information that might help Doc decide whether it was a "bad" PG-13 or not. I almost mentioned the rum, not that I have any problem with my kid knowing about alcohol, but because its a factor that others might consider in deciding if the movie was appropriate for their children.

A valid point, but it scares/irritates me nonetheless.

Quote:(The BBC version is very well done, by the way. I especially like the BBC version of Galadriel. It's also funny that the BBC version left out Tom Bombadil as well).

That was the one with Ian Holm, yes? It was fairly well-done, except something about Aragorn's voice drove me nuts.

Quote:But, I guess it's important to keep in mind that not all kids in PG-13 movies are bored or traumatized by the experience.

Yes, I should probably remember that, but the ideal movie crowd is one you don't notice at all. So you never see the pleasant ones. They might be there. My best theater experience here was with "Whale Rider". Probably had something to do with the fact that only two other people were there, and I brought both of them with me.

Quote:They are not your kids. Respect the parents's wishes or get out of the business of taking groups of kids anywhere.

People can do what they want with their kids, until the kids start ruining MY movie experience. Rather selfish, I know, but if I'm paying for a service, I'd rather it be a good experience.

Back with the uptight parents, those are generally the type you don't want to tick off, at least if you have any activists among them. You could always try talking directly to the parents BEFORE going, but I have a feeling that will just be painful and accomplish nothing. Anyway, best of luck, whatever you decide, Doc.

Quote:(Or maybe a bad thing... Fundies don't like pirate books do they?)

Depends on whether they're Pastafarian (I lost my link. Frown.).

--me
Quote:
Or maybe a bad thing... Fundies don't like pirate books do they?
Sure, Doc. I hear rumor that The Entire Christian Right is out burning copies of Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island" in your home town of Bluehair, SC. :rolleyes: Right outside the library that crosses out the pics in mags. B)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Right outside the library that crosses out the pics in mags. B)

Occhi

They want you to learn about pirates from the arrrticles.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Quote:Yes, I should probably remember that, but the ideal movie crowd is one you don't notice at all.

Generally true. I think the people who still go to weekly showings of Rocky Horror would disagree with you though!

My best movie experience was opening night of Star Wars Ep. IV: A New Hope (Remastered). The crowd was very much an active part of that experience, although most of the rowdiness calmed down as the movie progressed. There is something unique about being in a large cinema with top-end screen and sound, packed to capacity, where everyone already knows every line of the movie and think they have a scripted roll as "the audience".
Personally I like chocolate pie, but I do think that carob bean pie rates.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Quote:Personally I like chocolate pie, but I do think that carob bean pie rates.
*Groans*

*Applauds* :lol:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Sure, Doc. I hear rumor that The Entire Christian Right is out burning copies of Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island" in your home town of Bluehair, SC. :rolleyes: Right outside the library that crosses out the pics in mags. B)

Occhi
No! They just draw in the missing underwear. :)

The fundies most worried about pirates are at the Gospel Music Association.

Here is a review by the CHRISTIAN Science Monitor
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

SPOILER QUESTION! GLANCE PAST IF YOU DO NOT WITH TO READ THIS!
?daednu llits yeknom eht saw yhW
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:SPOILER QUESTION! GLANCE PAST IF YOU DO NOT WITH TO READ THIS!
?daednu llits yeknom eht saw yhW
Last scene, after the credits, of the "The Curse of the Black Pearl". Lil' Jack returns to the cave, nabs a coin and gets all funky again.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.