Hockey Playoffs!
SpazBear,May 18 2006, 02:03 PM Wrote:Best sign seen in Rexall Place:  "Toska La Vista, Baby!"

What a great game.

Ducks v. Oilers is going to be a great series, probably a lot more fun than the East finals.
[right][snapback]110254[/snapback][/right]

Meh, I didn't think it was a great game, or a great series for that matter. But not because of the Oilers.

The Sharks sucked. Plain and simple. No powerplay, and aside from the first two games, no hitting.

While the Oilers played a great series, there were two things that the did, that I didn't like (and I guess this is because I'm a Sharks fan).

1. Roloson is a cheat, and should have been called for diving. He got interference calls because he whined and pushed hisself into the people in front of the net.
2. Horcoff's hit on Michalek was cheap. Elbow to the head.

Meh. Even though those two things bothered me, the Sharks lost this series as much as the Oilers won it.
Check out the Edmonton Oilers fans singing "O Canada" at last night's game. It's pretty awesome :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk
If you were unlucky enough to miss game 3: Oilers v. Ducks, don't worry, it will be coming out on DVD soon enough. It was that exciting.

Let's see: it had two fights, three simultanteos duck penalties (with ~1:40 of 2-man Edmonton advantage), *both* teams had a three-goal streak - each within 5 minutes, 8 goals in one period, harrowing saves (including a glove save by Roloson on his back that was right on the goal line), a contested goal that actually hit the goal-cam, and finally, nearly a come from behind rally by the ducks to force overtime. The crowd itself was nearly in a constant roar the entire third period too.

P.S. I still say the Ducks win the cup this year.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Quote:If you were unlucky enough to miss game 3: Oilers v. Ducks, don't worry, it will be coming out on DVD soon enough. It was that exciting.

All three games of the series have been exciting to watch, the Ducks are an incredible team. Even though I'm rooting for Edmonton this series, and they have taken 3 games, the Ducks still have me shaking in my booties.

Game three was a real thriller though, I stayed glued to my seat through the first two periods (even scoreless the second was exciting), and stood a foot away from the screen after the first Duck's goal. It was just that good.

Quote:P.S. I still say the Ducks win the cup this year.

I love how the Oilers have been playing, and forsee them taking it. But I'm not going to say the Ducks can't make a comeback. What a team!

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:P.S. I still say the Ducks win the cup this year.

Coming back from a 3-0 deficit is a pretty tall order. I just don't see it happening. I think Edmonton is going to sweep.
Quote:Coming back from a 3-0 deficit is a pretty tall order. I just don't see it happening. I think Edmonton is going to sweep.

Okay, no sweep. The Oilers are still going to win though.
Stanley Cup finals baby!

As I type this, Edmonton is winning the game opener 3-2 in the 3rd period over the Carolina Hurricanes. Chris Pronger scored on a penalty shot, which is a first in Stanley Cup history.
^%%^%^#$%$@%%^ TY CONKLIN!

Just pathetic.

Quote:Stanley Cup finals baby!

As I type this, Edmonton is winning the game opener 3-2 in the 3rd period over the Carolina Hurricanes. Chris Pronger scored on a penalty shot, which is a first in Stanley Cup history.
Quote:^%%^%^#$%$@%%^ TY CONKLIN!

Just pathetic.

Wait, does this mean you are cheering for the Oilers too?

I don't blame Conklin, I blame Bergeron for throwing Ladd right into Roloson.
Quote:Wait, does this mean you are cheering for the Oilers too?

Go Rod Brind'amour! The Conn Smythe is his! :shuriken:
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Quote:Wait, does this mean you are cheering for the Oilers too?

Yes, I'm cheering for the Oilers (at least in the West); have been since Round 1, since I'm the Anti Red Wing.

Bad news today; Rollie out for good. I'm trying to stay upbeat, but No Rollie = No Chance, in my mind.

Conklin or Markkanen?

Which goalie would you go with?

I don't think Conklin can come back from losing Game 1. If he starts Game 2 and lets in a soft goal, the floodgates will open, and Edmonton will be going back home down 0-2.

Quote:Conklin or Markkanen?

Which goalie would you go with?

I don't think Conklin can come back from losing Game 1. If he starts Game 2 and lets in a soft goal, the floodgates will open, and Edmonton will be going back home down 0-2.

That's like choosing between stubbing your toe or getting kicked in the groin.

Obviously the only sane course of action is to bench the goalie spot, play 3 defensemen at a time and give them extra wide shin guards and count on Edmonton's awesome shot-blocking.

In all seriousness I'd go back to Conklin for game 2 and put him on a very short leash. If he lets in a stinker, give him the hook. If you start Markkanen you're basically writing off Conklin as a viable alternative and that won't fly. You have to at least appear to have some amount of confidence in your backup goalie(s).

This is the worst possible thing that could have happened to the Oilers.
For those of you who missed Game 5 of the STanley Cup finals, you missed a vigorous, energetic, thrilling display of hockey. Good skating, good hitting, good goal tending, good defense. The Oilers won in overtime on a short handed goal -- that by itself is a rarity -- begun by center ice steal against a power play build up (Pasani?) that turned, a second later, into a one-on-one, finished off by an artful shot over the goaly's left shoulder, in the upper corner of the net. (Not sure if that is the three or the five hole)

I watched most of the second and third periods, having stuffed myself with pork medallions, mushroom, peppers and onions on the grill, and wine, to the point of inertia. :w00t:

I have watched little hockey since The Great One hung up the skates. Watching last night's game was a wonderful decision. I had flashbacks to the '87 and '88 Stanley Cup playoffs, which I watched almost religiously each night, while Tom Mees was still alive and ESPN was a bit time hockey channel.

Well played, Oilers, on the Hurricane's home ice. *tips cap*

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hail Occhi,

Even though I've played sports my whole life, I've really never watched them. And I can't say I have watched a full game of hockey before this playoff season. Well my sports crazed neighbor definitely has changed that, so I've been watching the recent basketball, soccer, and hockey games. He's the loudest and most energetic Carolina fan you'll ever meet, so you could imagine how crazy he goes. Definitely entertaining.

I wanted to ask some people what they thought of this hockey season. Am I watching one of the better years of hockey, or do the old games still hold the cup? As a first time spectator, it has been truely exciting watching all the games. Last night's game was electrifying. I can't wait for Saturday!

-MonTy
Anything better than a Game 7 in the Stanley Cup Finals?

GO OILERS!
This is awesome hockey folks!
[Image: game71cb.jpg]

edit: GO OILERS!

Annoying Nitpick: The jerseys are the wrong colours. I hate it, but the NHL switched to the home teams wearing 'darks'; visitors 'whites' a year BLO (Before Lock Out).

Game 7 is in Raleigh, Carolina will be wearing red.

edit: GO OILERS!
GG Carolina, and 'grats to Cam Ward for a well-earned Conn Smythe trophy as the playoff MVP.
Screw the Stanley Cup - Luongo to Vancouver? Are you kidding me????

:D

I'm happy right now, especially with all the cap space that is coming... Things are lookin' up!!!
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II