Posting lyrics and scores online is a crime!
Pete,Dec 12 2005, 08:39 PM Wrote:Hi,
OK, let's start by cutting out the hyperbole.
But how can I make my threads fun and interesting without it? :)

Quote:As to the rest, I never could understand why the theft of literature, software (including games), and other intellectual properties is wrong, but the theft of musical intellectual properties is right.  The way I see it, the creator of the work owns it.  If he wants to give it away (e.g., freeware and copyleft-ed material), that's his choice.  If someone else gives it away without his permission, then that's theft.  People who engage in large scale theft belong in jail.

We could debate the issue of piracy till the cows come home. And then we could discuss it with the cows, but the issue of music piracy (the actual music) is beside the point. (Personally, I understand that piracy is a crime, but at the same time I also recognise the benefits of it.) As far as I understand this article, websites providing people the lyrics from songs are apparently breaking the law. That, to me, spells w-r-o-n-g.

A few years ago, I registered a free domain (20MB) to host some pictures 'n stuff. Meanwhile, (through piracy), I developed a fascination with American prog-rock band "Dream Theater" and attempted to 'tab' the drum part of one of their songs.. What I did, was to open a notepad-file, sit down and listen, bar by bar, write down in notepad what I had just heard. I then put this piece of work (took me a few hours to do, so I call it "work", even though it was great fun!) on The Internet®. Now, somewhere along the line, I committed a crime. I just don't see the reasoning in this. *I* did the work. I'm not ripping off someone else's. Sure, I didn't compose the drum score, but I certainly made the notation for it. Obviously, I'm not acquainted with the law, so I hope you'll forgive a certain degree of naïvité, but to me, this sounds completely ridiculous. (<-- Not hyperbole. :P)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw

Messages In This Thread
Posting lyrics and scores online is a crime! - by [wcip]Angel - 12-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Posting lyrics and scores online is a crime! - by Guest - 12-14-2005, 02:12 PM