Getting a New Monitor
Quark,Aug 15 2005, 09:44 AM Wrote:I know new games generally support 16:9, but what about games that don't?  Do you stretch the image, or do you leave black bars on the side?  [right][snapback]86025[/snapback][/right]

For a game that offers no option for a 16:9 resolution you can usually choose in the drivers whether you want a stretch or black bars. I think nVidia's drivers are better about this than ATi's are. Supposedly ATi people have a more difficult time with getting black bars, and they are sometimes forced to stretch.

Some games don't support it, but there are ways of forcing it. BF2 comes to mind. All native res are 4:3. If you want 16:9 you can get it by using command line switches, but when you get in game, 2D overlays are stretched. FOV (Field of Vision) is no wider than 4:3 and to keep aspects the same the top and bottom are snipped. Obviously this was a choice by developers of how to support non-standard resolutions, but there are still some frustrations with widescreen owners.

I am not a widescreen owner, this information is from reading the rants of people who are.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.

Messages In This Thread
Getting a New Monitor - by Quark - 08-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Getting a New Monitor - by Munkay - 08-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Getting a New Monitor - by Concillian - 08-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Getting a New Monitor - by ima_nerd - 08-16-2005, 05:12 AM
Getting a New Monitor - by Metrocube - 08-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Getting a New Monitor - by Quark - 08-16-2005, 09:39 PM