Getting a New Monitor
Quark,Aug 15 2005, 11:44 AM Wrote:So my trusty Samsung SyncMaster 955DF isn't so trusty anymore.  The focus for green colors is totally dead, meaning pure green is headache inducing and anything else that includes green is getting too fuzzy to read.  The problem has been there for awhile, but it was only minor before and it appears worse since I've also been staring at my sister's brand new LCD alot recently too.

I know I want an LCD.  The technology has come far enough, the benefits of LCD far outweigh the negatives for me at this point.  However, I don't know how big I want to go.  I see that most bigger LCDs are 16:9 instead of 4:3 aspect ratio, and I was wondering how people handle that.  I know new games generally support 16:9, but what about games that don't?  Do you stretch the image, or do you leave black bars on the side?  Is either terribly annoying?

From a non-game perspective I would love widescreen, but considering how often I go back to the old games that I know won't support it natively, I would like to hear other people's experiences with it.
[right][snapback]86025[/snapback][/right]

Since I'm still a CRT man I don't have too much to add to this discussion. I do think an LCD would be a good choice, and I by no means am trying to sway you back to the old dinosaurs that are CRT's.

But I do want to point out as an owner of a 21 inch monitor a slight problem that occurs in relation to gaming. In short, the monitor is too big! I thought I'd never say that, but in certain situations its true. For games like Diablo II (and I'm guessing for WoW) the main focus is on one character, and the big screen is a blessing. But for games like Starcraft or Warcraft III it can become tiring after a while. Because of the size I have to move my eyes back and forth across the screen to focus on multiple things. After a solid hour of gaming I feel like I just finished an 8 hour photo editing/html fixing spree. Though I must admit for tasks other than gaming I love the desktop space and high resolutions, and will probably be a big monitor buyer for a long while.

All in all its not a huge issue, but it is something I figured would be good to bring up. Especially if you are thinking of a larger inch LCD with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Cheers,

Munk

Edit: Added a bit.

Messages In This Thread
Getting a New Monitor - by Quark - 08-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Getting a New Monitor - by Munkay - 08-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Getting a New Monitor - by Concillian - 08-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Getting a New Monitor - by ima_nerd - 08-16-2005, 05:12 AM
Getting a New Monitor - by Metrocube - 08-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Getting a New Monitor - by Quark - 08-16-2005, 09:39 PM