Acting performances that surprised you?
I had no idea that was Leonardo DiCaprio in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape"! I might have to reconsider my blanket refusal to watch any movie with Leonardo DiCaprio in it (although that's been a good policy for every movie since Gilbert Grape).

I also refuse to watch any movie with Jim Carrey in it, although it seems like I would have liked "A Series of Unfortunate Events". Does anybody know if Carrey was as annoying as he usually is in that movie?

As for actors changing genres, I will also admit that I've been reluctant to watch any movie with Bill Murray in it that's not comedy (yes, I skipped "Lost in Translation" for that reason). It's not that I don't like him; I just can't picture him in that sort of role. I was really surprised when I heard that he would star in an upcoming Jim Jarmusch movie- and that the part had been created with Bill Murray in mind. This still sounds like some "other dimension" Bill Murray that I can't quite understand, but I'm looking forward to the movie to see if it changes my mind.

For a more on-topic reply, I liked Mark Hamill's voice acting in "Castle in the Sky". I didn't realize he could do anything but whine. :P Poor guy- he *still* can't appear onscreen in person without making everyone think of Luke Skywalker!

Obviously, Sean Astin came a long way from "The Goonies" with his portrayal of Samwise Gamgee. He's an actor that I'd really like to see be a bit more discriminating about the roles he accepts.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete

Messages In This Thread
Acting performances that surprised you? - by Griselda - 07-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Acting performances that surprised you? - by Wyrm - 07-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Acting performances that surprised you? - by Guest - 07-25-2005, 04:49 AM
Acting performances that surprised you? - by Doc - 07-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Acting performances that surprised you? - by Doc - 07-27-2005, 04:20 AM
Acting performances that surprised you? - by deathsnake2 - 07-28-2005, 02:06 AM
Acting performances that surprised you? - by Jim - 08-10-2005, 04:21 AM
Acting performances that surprised you? - by Jim - 08-10-2005, 04:29 AM
Acting performances that surprised you? - by Jim - 08-10-2005, 04:44 AM