Want to try a great online web game...
Well, I'll just put in my two cents on standard English openings.

As you probably can tell, there are only really two English opening systems: Northern (F Edi-NWG, F Lon-NTS) and Southern (F Lon-ENG, F Edi-NTS). I've never seen much value in the Splits (F Edi-NWG, F Lon-ENG) or any others, especially the absurd joke opening the Yorkshire Pudding (F Edi-Yor, A Lvp-Yor, F Lon-Yor).

Where the opening systems are concerned, I always say the following.

The Northern system is the weaker of the two systems. England is better off opening south.

BUT: if France plays to the Channel, a failed Southern opening is worse than if England opened North and France got into the Channel.

Furthermore - if Russia plays the Octopus or any other kind of variation including A Mos-StP, England is better off opening North.

This is why I recommend the weaker Northern Opening, Yorkshire Variation, for most players, and why most players play it, because they can't be assured that France won't go into the Channel and that Russia won't go north. But if you can make sure those things won't happen, the French Attack is your best bet for a win.

Lastly - watch Liverpool. It is your soft underbelly. Nearly every time England dies it is by way of Liverpool and by means of France. DMZ of the Channel is generally good, but it's good for France as well.

Messages In This Thread
Want to try a great online web game... - by Irre - 02-26-2003, 01:29 PM
Want to try a great online web game... - by Quark - 02-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Want to try a great online web game... - by Skandranon - 04-18-2003, 06:25 PM