Tales of the PvP server!
So, pvp is fun. I've recently found this out, yes, with some crazy-funky pvp hijinks while hanging around Ashenvale with my Tauren hunter, Worn, on the laughing skull server.

So, first off, I was wandering that place all crazy-like, trying to do the Warsong Reports quest, which involves basically navigating the western, central, and eastern parts of Ashenvale. I'd gotten to Zoram'Gar in the west, passing by Astranaar, a Night Elf settlement (and being very careful--although I picked off a couple of low level NPC's on my way through). Every NPC in Zoram'Gar is a quest-giver. So I was hanging around there for a while. I took out some Nagas, got some silver, it was all good.

Next quest area? A couple in the Thistlefur village, within spitting distance of Astranaar. So I head that way, find the village (a dirt path to the village at least; a fork on the road to Astranaar, barely out of range of the guards), and start taking out some enraged Furbolgs.

Two or three in, a druid spell comes out of nowhere--Moonfire I think it's called--and hits my pet. My pet! What the hell? So I finally remember to hit Track Humanoid, checked my minimap, found a blip called 'Nitney,' and turned around towards it. A Night Elf druid. Level... 21. What the hell is a level 21 druid doing attacking a 23 hunter? Probably all that 'blaargh hunters suck at pvp' stuff people in the majority of the WoW forums keep going on about.

Anyway, druid, two levels lower than me. I ignored the injured Thistlefur I was fighting, 'cause, well, the things are pansies (in groups of less than three), and fire on the druid. Well, turns out that taking large amounts of ranged damage from one of the most powerful ranged attackers in the game was a surprise to good ole Nitney. Especially when puny stuff like Wrath, Entangling Roots, and Moonfire, for some reason, wasn't stopping me. So she ran away. Awww, my new friend is gone.

I go back to fighting the Thistlefurs, and a few minutes later, I see the Nitney blip return to my minimap. She Moonfires me, again, so I turned around, Hunter's Mark so she couldn't shadowmeld away, and fire away. Worn 1, Nitney 0.

Nitney's not very smart, I guess.

Okay, so I go back to my Thistlefurs, still not making much progress, still within sight of the road to Astranaar. Not long later... Nitney-blip has returned. Corpse retrieval, I'm guessing. I'm a nice guy, I let her go on her way.

... and here comes Nitney-blip once again. I'm getting a bit tired of fighting the same night elf over and over, but, eh, what else do I have going on? (Yeah, yeah, quests--but it's not like the quests will go away anytime soon.) I turn, fire away, sic my pet, and remember to Mark her. Similar result, except that Nitney stops being a dumbass; she runs away. Back to Astranaar. Standing there, good and marked, out in the open... right behind a level 40 sentinel. Oooooh.

At this point, I am thoroughly embroiled in the hunt, you could say. So I circle around the sentinels, and find a spot where I can shoot at Nitney--who is still standing in the same spot--without alerting the sentinels, and where if she wants to attack me, she has leave the guards behind.

She runs into the town itself. Boo.

Back to my Thistlefurs, I suppose.

But, of course, not long after, here comes Nitney again. She's not happy with me anymore--a single Moonfire, to Balio (my bear) again, and she runs off. I chase, and she's back behind the guards. Now that's just not cool.

Then, from within the town, a night elf priest appears. And then a rogue. Both about level 20. I make a last attempt at luring Nitney away from them, for some sweet, sweet revenge, but it doesn't work. I hit Aspect of the Cheetah and run. Tracking fails me, after all but the rogue go into shadowmeld, so I turn to attack... and get swarmed. Not much like zerglings, though, as there were only three of them.

Dead, sad. I run all ghost-like through Astranaar to get back to my corpse, ressurect, and go back to peaceably slaughtering Thistlefurs.

Not long after, I see them again. At this point they've collected a paladin and a hunter, both about level 20 as well (maybe guild-mates, I dunno), so I try to hide... no use. Hunters rock at finding enemies, you know; and I quickly got Marked, and started running away. I lead them off towards Maestra's Post, jumped off the ledge there, and hid behing a hill. Distance negates all pvp ability. They pass by harmlessly, following the road, as I point and laugh.

Back to my Thistlefurs.

I can just imagine the party chat they had going. All, 'Haha, guys, we chased 'im off!' And, "Yeah, you can't take all five of us!" And, "We taught him a lesson!" They likely thought I was thoroughly chastised, and running back to Horde territory with my tail (Taurens even have tails!) between my legs.

But, no. I finally make some progress with the Thistlefurs, move away from the high-traffic road (really not many people, but it's pretty high traffic as Ashenvale goes). ... oh, look. Nitney-blip. Alone. Fighting a Thistlefur Shaman, away from the sentinels. *wicked laugh*

Worn 2, Nitney 0.

Further Thistlefur questing? Uninterrupted. :D

Really, I only managed one quest in something like an hour of hanging around that area. But that was a whole lot of fun packed into one quest. Granted, in the whole time I spent in Ashenvale, I got killed by higher level Alliance players twice, both times under the effects of Ressurection sickness (although I couldn't have defended myself against one of them even without it). But even that didn't really interfere with anything. The only drawback was a bit of time lost, and the repair bill on my equipment, which I can handle.

Realize, however, that this is the perspective of a hunter. With proper use of tracking, un-stealthed enemies simply can not get the drop on me. And surprise is a major deciding factor in PvP.

So, I like to ramble about stuff. Anyone else have a formative ramble over an interesting bit of random pvp? I'd very much like to hear of it, and I bet there are a few others who would like it as well. And maybe we could convert some of you puny, mortal 'pve' players. *shakes fist* ... *hides Stormrage character*

Messages In This Thread
Tales of the PvP server! - by Bob the Beholder - 01-27-2005, 05:32 AM
Tales of the PvP server! - by malphigian - 01-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Tales of the PvP server! - by Artega - 01-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Tales of the PvP server! - by Tal - 01-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Tales of the PvP server! - by malphigian - 01-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Tales of the PvP server! - by Artega - 01-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Tales of the PvP server! - by Bolty - 01-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Tales of the PvP server! - by Tal - 01-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Tales of the PvP server! - by malphigian - 01-27-2005, 09:28 PM
Tales of the PvP server! - by Cryptic - 01-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Tales of the PvP server! - by malphigian - 01-28-2005, 02:27 AM