New D2 Calculator
adeyke,Jan 26 2005, 08:18 PM Wrote:Some comments:

Distributing shortcuts isn't good, as those are Windows-specific and as they point so something on your computer.  The shortcut is set to start in "C:\Documents and Settings\Mitch\Desktop\Mitch's D2 Runeword Calculator", which most users won't have.  Messy.

Distributing thumbs.db files is worse.

Distributing a JAR file with a thumbs.db file is even worse than that.

Glaringly bright background = not pretty.

Grief is spelled wrong.

The alignment of the columns shifts slightly if you go from all haves to at least one have-not (and vice versa).

Holy Thunder requires clvl 24, not 21 (due to the holy shock skill bonus).

The compute button seems somewhat superfluous, as the list could just be updated on every click without significant slowdown.

The layout of the runes seems counterintuitive.  They line up nicely in columns, but the ordering is row-first.

The AS has many inaccuracies with the various realms-only runewords.  Take any information regarding those with a grain of salt.  Unfortunately, because of their realms-only status, I can't give the accurate stats.

It's disconcerting how the runeword description resizes and moves around every time.

Possible future features:

Right now, the options are "may include this rune" and "may not include this rune."  You could also add "must include this rune."  Someone might have a specific rare rune and want to know what can be done with it.

Buttons to select all and select none.

Restrictions based on item type and number of sockets.
[right][snapback]66490[/snapback][/right]

Ok, thanks for the input, lets see, I'll go through it and see what I can do/know how to do.

1. I'll get rid of the shortcut, thanks on that one, I didn't know that!
2. "Distributing thumbs.db files is worse.
Distributing a JAR file with a thumbs.db file is even worse than that."

What is that and how do I stop that? It automatically formed inside of the file when I "sent it to Zipped folder" Is this like security for me bad? so-so bad? Really bad? Slightly bad? What could happen?

3. Bright background, can fix. What colors would be more suitable?
4. Grief, didn't catch that, can fix.
5. I know about the columns shifting, and I don't know how to fix that! Well, I think I might be able to, so I'll try it. I'm using GridBagLayout, and I think I'll just need some larger spacer to hold everything..?
6. Definately could change the compute button to something that computes every time a rune is selected or deselected.
7. And I'm pretty sure I can reorder the runes to go down from low level to high without too much trouble.
8. What can I do about the Arreat Summit problems? Is there another better source?
9. Hmm, I know the resizing of the runeword properties kind of sucks. I could try two things. First, I might be able to force it to expand to fit everytime, have to try. Otherwise, maybe if I just make the backgrounds the same thing, you wounldn't notice it? I'll see here.
10. Can definately add more restrictions to the runewords, like char level, items, and number of sockets, but it'll just take more time to write the code. This would probably take the longest amount of time.
11. Hmmm, about the "Must contain" though, that'll take some thinking. I should definately be able to do is somehow, but I might have to restructure how I set up all of my if-then statements regarding the runelist. I'll probably hit this 1 one of the last of these, but I'll see what I can do. I'm going to be out of town for a few days, but I can get back to it then. Really, if the D2 community has been around this long, I think it'll be there a while. :)

Any other suggestions, problems?

US East ROCKS!!! *Esahaettr

*I may not know the answer, but the voices in my head probably do.
*Cows may come and cows may go, but the bull in here will live on forever.

Messages In This Thread
New D2 Calculator - by Esahaettr - 01-25-2005, 12:19 AM
New D2 Calculator - by Occhidiangela - 01-25-2005, 04:07 PM
New D2 Calculator - by Dozer - 01-26-2005, 02:03 AM
New D2 Calculator - by Esahaettr - 01-26-2005, 03:07 AM
New D2 Calculator - by Dozer - 01-27-2005, 01:42 AM
New D2 Calculator - by adeyke - 01-27-2005, 02:18 AM
New D2 Calculator - by Esahaettr - 01-27-2005, 02:34 AM
New D2 Calculator - by adeyke - 01-27-2005, 04:30 AM
New D2 Calculator - by lfd - 01-27-2005, 09:38 AM
New D2 Calculator - by Esahaettr - 01-27-2005, 12:33 PM
New D2 Calculator - by Esahaettr - 02-02-2005, 01:02 AM