How I believe GA and pierce should work together
Ah, well, there's a bit of a story behind this one.

I was the one who changed GA to pierce in whichever version piercing GA was introduced in, because at the same time I was planning on making it do some other interesting things (swoop around in curvy paths and all that, thus not being able to hit the same target again without going in a big circle). Unfortunately, I never could get the server and the client to sync very well on that one (something to do with how client & server missiles are independent of each other). So I backed out my changes, but accidentally left the pierce column for GA set on. (this was fairly close to right before we shipped).

A few days later, I noticed the problem and fixed it, asking the person making the patch to get the latest file... unfortunately I think our source control program was acting weird around that time, which it sometimes does, and somehow the fix didn't get included in the build.

Was that 1.08? So the fix should have gone into 1.09 at least (which btw was supposed to be released before 1.08 actually got put on the server which is a horrible horrible plan), but it never made it into there either, plus there were all sorts of other snafus with 1.09 in terms of odd code merges (for example the lack of triggered effects in 1.09d vs. 1.09b).

So that's the story. Not very comforting I know :(

In a way all of the elite 1.08 items could be considered bugs as well, at least in so much as they were never meant to appear on the realms...

Messages In This Thread
How I believe GA and pierce should work together - by Isolde - 04-10-2003, 12:16 AM