I'm just worried
Heya Pete...

Quote:Good. Then the best combinations for individual types of encounters can be rapidly figured out. And when things get changed then the effects of the changes can be seen at once.

I think that there is also a disadvantage to this. It's kind of like a double edged sword. You have people that want to change their talents so they know what is a good combination and what isn't. If in testing, we find out what is the best talent disbursments, everyone is going to work off of that "template" in the game from the outset. I really doubt that Blizzard would build the talent system, and then change it right when the game comes out. This being said, if we can see what all the game has to offer, or even 50% of what the game has to offer with regards to this, I think that the "Point of Boredom" will be reached sooner than what people are expecting.

We all know how important trade skills can be. However, if you had to use some obscene amount of skill points to change your talents, that would discourage people from changing thier talents for every other fight. That is, unless you were content with being just an average character where your trade skillls are concerned.

Another thought would be to be able to change your talents once everytime you level. So if you make a bad choice on your talents, you only have to deal with the consequences for one level. So there is the potential that you think that some talent sucks, but over the course of the level, you might see that it's not so bad.

I'm going along the lines here of instead of suddenly taking a level 20 character who just got the talents applied to thier class and dumping things in, you can "add as you go," as if you started a new character. It's one thing if you already have points just stockpiled. It's another if you're starting from square one.

But if you think about it, how do we know if there is a talent that sucks for the first 4 levels, but gets good on the 5th? I'm sorry that I have to keep referring back to D2, but Hurricane completely sucks for the first 4 levels. Then you start putting your synergies into it, and it turns out to be a pretty decent spell. By being able to reapply all the time, we're not testing the lower levels of the talents until we start new characters. We could get the general idea of what talent "trees" might be the best for this instance or that instance.

I think that I'm always going to look at a constant ability to change your talents as having a King's Sword of Haste (Bastard Sword) with the Godly Plate of Whale, and the Stormshield in the first Diablo. It removes the challenge. If we're able to redistribute the talents on a regular basis, and as the quest(s) need, how are we to know if a quest or a boss is too tough for the level you're at?

SaxyCorp

Messages In This Thread
I'm just worried - by apandapion - 07-27-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm just worried - by bschultz - 07-28-2004, 05:40 AM
I'm just worried - by Saxywoo - 07-29-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm just worried - by --Pete - 07-29-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm just worried - by Cryptic - 07-29-2004, 05:13 PM
I'm just worried - by Saxywoo - 07-30-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm just worried - by MongoJerry - 07-30-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm just worried - by DeeBye - 07-30-2004, 08:31 PM
I'm just worried - by DeeBye - 07-30-2004, 08:44 PM
I'm just worried - by TheDragoon - 07-30-2004, 09:20 PM