Looking to become a first time mozilla user
Fragbait,May 27 2004, 01:50 AM Wrote:DeeBye, can you explain the advantage of tabbed browsing to me? You can't change with alt+tab between browser windows, can't close them with alt+F4, and you can't have several of them next to each other so that you can compare their layouts, for example, can you?
Anyways, just wondering.
With tabbed browsing, I can have one instance of Firefox running instead of several, no matter how many webpages I have open at once. Switching between them is simple. All you do is click tabs. Closing them is equally simple. Just click the tab and hit the button (or right-click the tab and close it from the context menu).

I prefer this to having a bunch of the same thing cluttering up my taskbar. When I first heard about tabbed browsing, I didn't really see the big deal about it either, but when I started actually using it I found that I couldn't browse the old fashioned way again.

Take a simple task like a Google search for example. Tabbed browsing makes sorting through search results very quick. I can load links in new tabs by middle (mouse) clicking, while keeping the search results page open in the event that the links aren't what I'm looking for. If a link is irrelevant, I can just close the tab and go back to the search results index and try the next hit. I don't have to retype a search query, and I don't have to open links in new windows (which was always a pain in the ass for me). If a link is semi-relevant (or is just plain interesting), I can leave it open in a tab for later perusal while sifting through the other search results.

Messages In This Thread
Looking to become a first time mozilla user - by DeeBye - 05-27-2004, 02:30 PM