Throwing Potions
adeyke,Dec 31 2003, 07:40 PM Wrote:>If so, would 'Fire Mastery' work with oil potions?

I don't believe so.
Interesting question.

Potions are possibly special cased enough to avoid Fire or Poison Mastery (new facets etc. have +poison damage, right?... fireghtning "mastery" skills are, iirc, just +item_elem_damage% effects in practice).

I would not trust what the LCS™ says here. Should be tested. (I'll edit back if I get around to it first).

My recollection from beta was that throwing potions were "weapons" and so could somewhat inappropriately be used in some of the horcube transformations (as could many quest items... some such horcube snafus were fixed for release, and some not). This raises the question of whether you could be really silly and use the repair recipe on them.

As I've noted in numerous posts before, there is some art/science to avoiding stacking potions when picking them up (inven open trick), and getting the best repair cost deal based on what qty stack you sell to the shop before buying it back, replenished (when you have a bunch of stacks, you can adjust the numbers of stacks by combining, e.g.).

Some "autohit" attacks can still be blocked (or might fail 1/20th of the time). AFAIK the poison throwing potions are a sure way to hit and apply damage (if you can lob it to the right spot) regardless of the monsters mlvl/DR/blocking (but, of course, respecting their poison resist/immunity). This can occasionally be useful, when you want an underpowered character to be the one getting kill credit for a quest/1st-drop boss.

Hypothetically at least, an army of clvl 1s with a gold rich patron in town to "repair" their poison throwing potions, could eventually take down DC (I wouldn't recommend this in hardcore, of course! :) ) via TP ping-pong.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits

Messages In This Thread
Throwing Potions - by diablo1ks - 12-31-2003, 07:38 PM
Throwing Potions - by adeyke - 12-31-2003, 07:49 PM
Throwing Potions - by diablo1ks - 12-31-2003, 08:13 PM
Throwing Potions - by Archon_Wing - 01-01-2004, 03:21 AM
Throwing Potions - by Phyloxerra - 01-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Throwing Potions - by Crystalion - 01-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Throwing Potions - by Archon_Wing - 01-10-2004, 01:02 AM
Throwing Potions - by adeyke - 01-10-2004, 01:56 AM
Throwing Potions - by Ruvanal - 01-10-2004, 03:35 AM
Throwing Potions - by Lady Vashj - 01-21-2004, 06:37 PM