Thank you, I made it myself
Since v1.10 release I've not been playing SP except for testing. I usually have a pretty good net connection and am enjoying the v1.10 Ladder economy (btw, classic is *much* harder than it used to be, long ago, I highly recommend it).

Some folks, though, like MongoJerry (he just got DSL? used to have 56k connection) can be tempted into some SP (single player) fun...

Theme: I made it myself

Reason: to have fun and show (as MongoJerry and I agree, no?) that the items in the game that are easily available to players "work" and the rune items are either easy/useful or hard/really-useful or impossible/uber/fun

Process: start a new char (any class/build), twink with cube and to taste (see restrictions), play through hell.

Restriction 1: can not use anything unless you made it, unless it is impossible to "make"; if something that can be made uses the slot you may not use something there that you didn't make

example: new chars throw away their initial weapon (and shield)... you will need to find a socketed one, and actually socket something into it before you're allowed to use it

example: you can't make Town Portal scrolls or books, so you may freely use them (find or buy)

example: can use red and blue potions, and buy them; can use dropped small rejuvs; can not use big rejuvs unless made them in cube or found them by Find Potion

example: can not wear a found/bought belt, because there are ways to cube to make belts; crafting would leave you without a belt for a *long* time, so I recommend you find an El rune, a gem chip, and a cracked sash asap!! :D

example: can not use a charm "as is" but must cube it (i.e. reroll it)

example: found an elite unique... can not use it (repair recipe "cubing" it doesn't count as "making" it)

example: found a normal unque... can use it, *after* upgrading it (to exceptional, by recipe)

example: rares... ditto unique example

example: a barb is allowed to use anything from Find Potion or Find Item (hey, this is for fun, and if you're willing to stick your hands inside a demon's slimy carcass, more power to ya! ;) ) If the barb finds such an item, however, he must give it up if he ever accidentally repairs it in a shop... he must repair it only by cube recipe (and no, you may not twink him with the runes specifically to do this repair--that would be "cheating")

Restriction 2: "twinking" limited to horadric cube (asap!), gems, runes, socketed (grey) items, white items

ergo fodder for runewords and crafting for the most part (don't ignore the leech sword recipe, the normalize low quality item recipe, the make resist ring/ammy recipes etc.).

example: you are not allowed to twink uniques/rares and then upgrade them (the theme is making it yourself, so runewords/crafts are the order of the day, unless it drops for your character).

Restriction 3:To be a true "maker", during your journey (completing the game in norm...hell) you must try out *all* making recipes, if possible, using the product of the recipe for at least one complete character level-up

ergo you will try out all the different runewords (yes, I know this means you'll have to twink runes), you will try socketing at least one of every type of gem (kind, not grade) in each possible purpose/slot (e.g. Topaz in weapon/shield and either of torso/helm since the purpose, MF, is the same for both), you will try all the crafts, you will try all the cube recipes! In short, you will come out of the process knowing far more than than I do (which might not be a good thing? ;) )

That's it. Silly thought for the day. If you like it, have fun and report back.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits

Messages In This Thread
Thank you, I made it myself - by Crystalion - 12-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Thank you, I made it myself - by Occhidiangela - 12-13-2003, 12:59 AM
Thank you, I made it myself - by Little Faith - 12-13-2003, 02:26 AM
Thank you, I made it myself - by Ruvanal - 12-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Thank you, I made it myself - by BlackLightning - 12-14-2003, 04:38 AM
Thank you, I made it myself - by Occhidiangela - 12-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Thank you, I made it myself - by Little Faith - 12-19-2003, 08:03 PM