Any good Paladin Builds out there?
Cool guide. You inspired me to dust off one of my lvl 14 paladin mules, and make him a real player. I decided it would be fun to try a Missionary. He has a little trouble with realm play, as the general battle net community do not have the patience to wait for the thorns aura to wear off. Necro's loved me though. I had warned people to just let me go off to do my thing away from the general party, but it seems the click and kill crowd just wants everything to die quickly. There was quite alot of cursing in some games, until I decided to change weapons and use my not so powerful Zeal, Fanaticism, and Conviction auras that they were more familiar with. It was softcore so no drama really, but I think if one were to play a Missionary in HC he would be a very lonely paladin, although he would make a good PK killer. Anyway, my conclusion is that he is not so party friendly -- or pubbies are too stupid to play him with.

For gear I'm now using Irathra's Set (inspired by another post), with Darkglow & 2D Mosers 67% Block (90% resists, in NM w/Salvation), Angelic ring and sabre (low damage), Cathens ring for LL, a 'Zephyr' repeating crossbow as alternate weapon, Sigons boots. For charms I opted for any +Life charms which contribute >10 life per box for a total of +300. The low damage on the Angelic sabre is perfect for two reasons, first your convert has more life, and second if you accidently hit an unconverted with thorns you don't kill yourself (4-9 becomes 41-91).

At earlier levels I used a Rogue's Bow, and also tried Civerbs Set, and a General Tan Do Li Ga Flail as well, but they lacked the AR I needed to be assured of ~30% conversion rate.

As I look toward Hell, I have a Guardian Angel on another paladin, he might borrow if needed. I'm drinking alot of red pots, but they are cheap, tasty and plentiful. :) The crossbow is also starting to lose its punch, so I may need to start swapping life charms out for dmg charms, or step up to a bigger fast crossbow (maybe a Shael'd Demon Machine). Other than that, unless I win the lottery or find a Herald of Zakarum not much else will change.

My general strategy is to engage and convert them all, whilst I stand back with thorns aura. Then, as their conversion expires I pick them off with fanaticism and crossbow. If there is a boss, I convert all as quickly as I can then pick at the boss with the crossbow while standing off. When the minions are gone, usually not quite finished killing their boss, I need to switch out the Angelic Sabre and use Zeal/Fanaticism and a 6 socket Dimensional blade with a hodge podge of jewels and gems. NM Travincal was beastly, but a fun challenge. I ended up getting critters to chase me back to the temple, where I would convert them to engage the unholy trio of Ismail, Geleb, and Toorc, all self healing bosses. Vampires and Zakarum Priests were great to have on your side! Definately an epic battle, and teaches you to conserve your converts.

My missionary is now well on his way at around lvl 44 with Conversion 9 and Maxed Thorns, and I just traded my lowly Act I rogue for a NM Act III cold merc (I hate leveling mercs). On to face NM Mephisto!!!
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Any good Paladin Builds out there? - by Zakarum - 02-28-2003, 03:22 AM
Any good Paladin Builds out there? - by kandrathe - 02-28-2003, 05:30 AM
Any good Paladin Builds out there? - by Tommi - 02-28-2003, 08:16 AM
Any good Paladin Builds out there? - by Zakarum - 02-28-2003, 04:45 PM
Any good Paladin Builds out there? - by kandrathe - 02-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Any good Paladin Builds out there? - by Tommi - 03-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Any good Paladin Builds out there? - by LavCat - 03-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Any good Paladin Builds out there? - by Zakarum - 03-04-2003, 01:53 AM
Any good Paladin Builds out there? - by Tommi - 03-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Any good Paladin Builds out there? - by Wapptor - 03-04-2003, 03:23 PM