Mountain - is it a game, is it art?
I don't mind games that require good hand/eye coordination skills as long as the mechanics of the game are good.

Most of the Nintendo games from the 80's required you to have good hand/eye coordination skills, but they for the most part also had terrible mechanics. I remember being frustrated to no end trying to beat the original Ninja Gaiden. It was one of the hardest games on the Nintendo console, but in a flawed sort of way. When you would kill a monster it would instantly respawn, many situations where you were required to jump across a chasm would result in death if you didnt time the jump EXACTLY right, and so on. I remember finally beating the game after who knows how many tries, and then never touching it again.

I was a big fan of Diablo 1 PvP because it too requires good skills, yet the mechanics are much better designed then games like the one mentioned above. They are more intrinsic and passive within the game itself then they are out in the open. In other words, the player has a bit more control of his/her situation here. D1 pvp has its flaws (desync situations, some builds are imbalanced and overpowered, and there are bugs that can be easily abused) but it is well conceived (especially considering the games age).

The greatest game to me ever though, still, is chess. Sadly, computers have stripped it down to a science practically at the Grandmaster level, and many of the openings have been analyzed and memorized through the entire game. But for all intents and purposes it is the ultimate strategy and thinking man's game. There is very little luck involved, and I like that. Games that have lots of luck involved, while they are still games, I am less inclined to like them because the skill factor is less.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mountain - is it a game, is it art? - by FireIceTalon - 07-02-2014, 05:41 PM