Help review my PC workstation build list, please and thanks.
(04-25-2013, 04:29 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote: Basically it comes down to what can I get for 100 bucks or so, that is reliable and large enough and good value for the dollar.

So basically, time to save up. Ideally I'd want a 512gig to drop in price so I can buy that, make that the C: drive, switch out the 250 to serve as the scratch disk, and badabing badaboom. But I'll see what I can save up vs when I absolutely need to buy a drive for a dedicated scratch disk.

Check out this drive retailers say is available in a month:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6884/cruci...40gb-120gb

Prices are coming down as factory processes are developed. The Crucial/Micron M500 is a new 128 bit process and the 960 Gigabyte is priced around 600 dollars-- which is a steal capacity / price wise, especially compared to the other terrabyte solutions! Note it is a single drive, not a raid solution. The performance is not as good as the 840 Pro's, but it is still in the same league.

Really, staying in line with Moore's law, if you save your money until when you need it, you'll be good to go. SSD prices come down in fairly regular intervals and I'm quite happy to see an order of magnitude better capacity and increased performance to boot in the past five years of SSD development.

(04-25-2013, 04:29 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5019201

Check out the OP's drool worthy work rig specs, if even that super saiyan beast grade machine has troubles, IMO it's not for lack of muscle.

Ahaha I am not surprised the code is inefficient and unable to flex his hardware muscle.

Thanks for the inside info on PS and other Graphics Software work.

(04-25-2013, 04:29 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote: How's the other crypto-currencies, ie Litecoins. Are they growing at the same rate as Bitcoins at this point?

Litecoins will not likely have ASICs anytime soon. For bitcoins, from what I'm reading, a lot of people are ordering their own independent DIY kits via group order batches of 10k Avalon chips from TSMC foundry. A few months, they're expected to be on the network. Demand exceeds the Avalon company's desire and ability to produce, and Butterflylabs has not shown any shipped ASIC products. Other companies are also forming and doing their own ASICs.

Litecoins are comparable right now in profit per day, but the prices are fluctuating greatly, andusually LTC fluctuate even more than BTC. I just did a mining comparison on my own rigs and there isn't a huge profit of LTC over BTC right now. There will change as ASICs dominate, but the current estimates are that I'd be making about as much money mining BTC as LTC. When BTC is unprofitable due to network difficulty, I will switch over.

So basically, risky either way. Take your pick. I'm happy with my two rigs though. I've already played Borderlands 2 with an invited friend over and played it crispy clear. I just realized I technically could do all four players in Borderlands 2 in my apartment. Hmmm... 2 Laptops able to play it smoothly, and two Desktops.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help review my PC workstation build list, please and thanks. - by Drasca - 04-30-2013, 12:43 AM