Help review my PC workstation build list, please and thanks.
(04-23-2013, 03:24 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: Speaking for myself only, I can live with the danger of just one year inclusive warranty for now. And if I do have a problem after that, well I live 15 minutes drive away from one of their walk in store\shop, so it works for my situation.

Quality parts last years, especially if they don't get moved or heat stressed. Besides, there's tech depreciation and cost of replacement for the same level of power is so much less when getting past the two year mark.

(04-23-2013, 03:24 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: Anyway back to the rig, I knew the case was a full tower, but jeebus it's a big case. I have no complaints and regrets, it's got great airflow and if I want to add stuff like storage and another vid card it'd be a breeze.

It wasn't built as a silent machine, but it's damn close to a near silent machine.

My own case is huge too. The next case I'm getting is a mid tower. The nanoxia deep silence 2. Should be interesting as a comparison.

I can't imagine the GPU being accessed, but even at full load? Either way, nice! Honestly I come from a backround of dedicated electronics room that is much louder, and my own clevo laptop is louder than my full tower's fans at full. The GPU's at full fan are a different story, but I'm surprised how quiet it all is.

(04-23-2013, 03:24 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: Though realistically I probably would take what I like from that Shuttle, and apply it to a general Micro ATX build instead. Slightly bigger than the Shuttle, but more flexible options. Basically an HTPC eloping with a workstation build.

But that won't be for a long time, this work rig will last for a while yet. Though like all victories, all high technologies is also fleeting. Tongue

CPU wise, the overall direction is toward being feature rich and better efficiency, not absolute performance. Your CPU will be as good as it gets for a long time coming.

It may be fleeting, but it'll be high end for long enough that the cost of replacement / upgrade will be signifigantly reduced. If an upgrade is needed at all, that is.

In your stress testing, did you saturate your ram? I'd be very interested to know how much ram you're using.

(04-23-2013, 03:24 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: That's a tricky setup with 4 GPUs, at least to someone like me who usually runs 1 card only.

This is the newer version,
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/P9X79-E...21782.html

Unless you meant you already chose another mobo, then never mind what I just wrote above.

In retrospect, I should've gone with an X79 chipset for going 4x GPUs, and checked out the GPU slot using profiles. I will likely do haswell-e in the future if I end up going for more. I still don't understand why the GPU's aren't being detected. I really only need one PCI-e lane to do the computations for hashing, and lane bandwidth shouldn't be a concern.

No real regrets. I'll have two desktops available for high end gaming when company is over. There are advantages to that too.

This was a spur of the moment decision based upon latent decision making and desires cross checking available wants vs needs vs cost for a long time. The details of what particular parts and system weren't the most efficient, but the overall direction has been a positive experience.

Oh, do you use a mousepad? I am really enjoying my steelseries mousepad. It is very smooth and reduces movement strain for me. I've also heard good things about trackballs and trackball mice hybrids. I tried out a mouse with a little trackball at the thumb few a few minutes, and I'd have to get used to it, but it intrigues me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help review my PC workstation build list, please and thanks. - by Drasca - 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM