Help review my PC workstation build list, please and thanks.
(04-23-2013, 12:49 AM)Drasca Wrote: Hammer, let me know when you get your machine!

I picked up the machine last week, tuesday iirc. Though the first few days were eaten up by setting the actual desk\work area, setting up a desk clamp monitor mount, the walmart bar stool, and other stuff like installing photoshop and my drawing tablet. The rest of the weekend was informal stress testing etc.

Working fine so far hardware wise, the store said they did have to tweak the RAM latency slightly, because during their burn in tests the original config was crashing after 5 hours or so for some reason.

I don't know remember the exact numbers, it may be slightly slower than the stock RAM settings, but in practical and actual use, there is absolutely no difference unless I can see a difference of nano seconds.

Overall I'm quite happy going with NCIX, and I can recommend it to anyone considering buying a system from them. Build wise they're very clean hardware and software wise (no junkware add-ons).

They're at least on par with high end Dell workstations, and IMO better because they're very flexible with customization. And competitive prices as well. Yes yes with big brand names the extra dollar you pay is for the extended warranty and support.

Speaking for myself only, I can live with the danger of just one year inclusive warranty for now. And if I do have a problem after that, well I live 15 minutes drive away from one of their walk in store\shop, so it works for my situation.

Obviously if you're a bigger enterprise class your needs might be different than mine. Insert "No one ever got fired for buying IBM" unofficial\official type policy here. Tongue (Having said that, the rep I talked to said they've also worked with schools and larger business, so I can believe they could compete with bigger name brand builders, they just don't advertise on TV and newspapers like the big brands do.)

Anyway back to the rig, I knew the case was a full tower, but jeebus it's a big case. I have no complaints and regrets, it's got great airflow and if I want to add stuff like storage and another vid card it'd be a breeze.

It wasn't built as a silent machine, but it's damn close to a near silent machine. 2x 120mm fans on top, 1x 120 at back, the machine is about 2-4 feet away from my head since it's on the desktop and my table is elevated for sit\stand height.

And all I can hear is a barely noticeable, but pleasant soft hum. If this was in a typical office it would not be heard at all. If I have headphones on and my mp3 player is set at vol 2-3, I can't hear the machine. When I'm concentrating on photoshop, I don't really hear the machine.

But if I was doing this again I can definitely see myself looking at a mid-tower instead. Hell there's a sexy small form factor Shuttle PC that is so damn tempting. In a parallel dimension, another me might have bought this instead:

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=70524&v...omoid=1360

I knew some folks that drive tractor trailers and semis for a living, and more than a few of them when they clock out, their personal car are compacts. Mini Coopers, and Smart car. One driver I knew loves compacts, and I remember him saying he'd buy an electric compact\micro in a split second. I imagine this is sort of the computer equivalent. Big Grin

Though realistically I probably would take what I like from that Shuttle, and apply it to a general Micro ATX build instead. Slightly bigger than the Shuttle, but more flexible options. Basically an HTPC eloping with a workstation build.

But that won't be for a long time, this work rig will last for a while yet. Though like all victories, all high technologies is also fleeting. Tongue

Quote:As an update, I've received the RMA PSU today. It works and is tested working, but I'm left with more questions and have found out the Motherboard does not POST a third GPU. The slots themselves work fine individually, but only one GPU is functional on the 3rd and 5th slots with both populated.

I'm ordering another mobo, CPU and case so I can house my 4th GPU and 2nd PSU.

That's a tricky setup with 4 GPUs, at least to someone like me who usually runs 1 card only.

On paper the mobo I chose can support 4 cards. In a real situation, I read one review that it's physically very difficult. 2 is the practical limit, 3-4 is possible if you can find a card that can fit in all 4 slots.

I chose that mobo since the most I'd use is 2 cards anyway.

I don't know if you've looked at the newer version of it already, just looking at the pic there maybe a re-working of their slot that allows for easier 4 card setup. Though it's hard to say for sure just from the pics alone. Obviously best example if there was an actual test review of trying to put 4 cards in the board.

This is the one I have,
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9X79_WS/

This is the newer version,
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/P9X79-E...21782.html

Unless you meant you already chose another mobo, then never mind what I just wrote above.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help review my PC workstation build list, please and thanks. - by Hammerskjold - 04-23-2013, 03:24 PM