The Individual Vs. The State, An Unusual Case
(09-29-2012, 06:05 AM)FireIceTalon Wrote: And yes, he is most definitely guilty of a strawman, because his argument completely misrepresents mine or shoju's points.

So if I understand correctly you are comparing the killing and torturing of people with some obstinate old man who wants to bury someone where he likes?

A society needs rules, and simply saying all rules are made to keep the common man down is a gross simplification of facts.

One reason for this is that most people are stupid, and don't see the consequences of what they are doing; stopping at red lights or not speeding in your car is an example. Burying people in a cemetery is another.

Torture and murder on the other hand, are torture and murder, and I think no-one would say that this man deserves the death penalty for what he did. So you can go and start talking about people's rights again, but please realize that you can't just throw everything on one pile.

I mean do you really honestly believe that the government of the US doesn't let this guy bury his wife where he wants because of some scheme to control the people?
If you say this about the war in Iraq, I agree with you, but in this case it just doesn't make any sense.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Individual Vs. The State, An Unusual Case - by eppie - 09-29-2012, 08:55 AM