The Individual Vs. The State, An Unusual Case
(09-27-2012, 07:20 AM)eppie Wrote: The US got involved in Vietnam because it is so important that we can bury anyone anywhere we want! It had nothing to do with the cold war and so on.
Or, was it because the French acted all superior after WWII and tried to reassert their colonial rule. The US got sucked into war in an attempt to protect the interests of Standard Oil. Not as sexy as rights. When I hear the code word "national interests", I quickly look to see what resource we are exploiting there.

Quote:I also heard that the first gulf war was to protect our rights to celebrate pancake day, while Saddam was finally removed because he wanted to ban peeing against trees.
He was a donkey and while he was our donkey, we were fine with his WMD. Once he chose to placate the Islamic extremists around him, over being our (US and Europe) puppet he had to go -- one way or another. The Wests policy in the middle east has been "either help butter the gears on the oil extraction, or become the butter." And, God knows we need alot of butter on Shrove Tuesday.

And, on topic... I'm on the fence here. On the one hand, I see the Libertarian argument. What harm does it do while he's alive at least and owns the land? So I'd let it be. Once he's dead and ownership transfers, put him and her to a nice plot in a proper cemetery. Sign here, or we'll burn ya both after your dead. Otherwise, we eventually would end up with every works project running underground wires or pipes breaking into the neighborhoods corpses. But, here is a good example of why we need a few laws to keep society civil.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Individual Vs. The State, An Unusual Case - by kandrathe - 09-27-2012, 09:09 PM