US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act
(07-13-2012, 12:29 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: If you generalized from my comment that it was the vulgarity of that figure of speech that was offensive to me, you failed to take in my objection. I was not objecting to the oblique mention of testicles. I was objecting to the sexist nature of the figure of speech. I linked it to a racist figure of speech (that has blessedly gone away) to try to make that point clear.
Yes. Sometimes it can be both, but I realize it was the sexism which is more offensive. I think at the Lounge we try to maintain a less than R rating.

Quote:Vulgarity is something that is both ubiquitous and undefinable. Look up the source of the word. What we all should be teaching our children is where to use language. Appropriate language for the locker room doesn't belong in grandma's presence and vice versa. The shorthand English of texting is inappropriate for corporate emails and vice versa.
I wish I had said it so succinctly. Our language issues as a society often arise when we are clueless heedless of situation and context.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act - by kandrathe - 07-18-2012, 05:30 PM