US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act
(07-09-2012, 04:48 PM)shoju Wrote: I'm not a fan of Grand Theft Auto, but I'm ok with him playing WoW. Why? Because one is realistic, and one is fantasy. Teaching one to distinguish between reality and fantasy is a big thing for me.

Both of these topics are a good way to start an argument between us.
My main point really is that we it needs to be a balanced "attack" so to speak, something that I feel at times forgotten about.

I'm 99% in agreement with you and Jester on this in regards to the moral responsibility of parents to rear their children in a positive manner by "teaching" them, instead of letting them be taught. My big HOWEVER is peer pressure, which includes the media.

I like to hike and I'm a very active man. As a child growing up, I had a computer and later on got a NES, but the majority of my time was spent outdoors being social and physical. As hard as I try to infer and bestow these concepts into my kids heads, they still choose to play where their friends are... which is online! And why is this? Because the media says it's cool! Remember when Michael Jordan used to advertise playing basketball on boxes of Wheaties because it was cool? Now you see athletes promoting their latest video game instead for some royalties, and despite what you tell your kids, they WILL go where everyone else is, which happens to be wherever the f* the media tells them to be. So to that end, kandrathe is right, and something does have to be done to help stem the obviously out-of-control media system in it's current capitalist hungry state. What sells? Sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll. So the media pushes these concepts on our kids. As good parents, we give our children the knowledge they need to overcome these obstacles (in theory), but then peer pressure comes along... the fact is, everyone needs to feel wanted. It's more than a human need - its a necessity - which means the media does have an influence on the masses, and despite what we do as parents, the influence of the media on your children's peers is out of your control completely.

So, I think you are both right.

NOTE: I hope I read all this right to this point; daughter had tonsils removed this morning and last night, I just could not sleep even one-wink (too nervous) and I'm just killing time right now until ad early bed, so my comprehension is a bit low ATM.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

Messages In This Thread
RE: US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act - by Taem - 07-09-2012, 10:25 PM