US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act
(07-09-2012, 09:11 AM)Jester Wrote: ... And it's no more true today than it was back then. Just a single, effective perceptual illusion, repeating itself across the generations.
I'm not just echoing the woes of parents past. I can actually point at research that shows more media results in more issues, whether it's violence, sexualization, or just vulgarity in general.

http://www.apa.org/topics/kids-media/index.aspx

"Among the most troubling cultural trends is the objectification of pre-teen girls, said Tomi-Ann Roberts, PhD, a member of the APA Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls, which delivered its report earlier this year." U.S. children: overweight and oversexed?, By Christopher Munsey, Laurie Meyers; Monitor Staff, October 2007, Vol 38, No. 9, Print version: page 58.

I see this Pearl Vision Center Commercial all the time, and while it isn't overt, it sends a very particular message to females. This is the type of "normality" I think we need to change. This one is tame, very tame. Sometimes my wife and I bet chores during obscure commercials to see who can guess first what the product is that they are selling. Is it jeans? Perfume?, etc?

For an example of taking action, from the same url above; "Direct action can also fight the trend, she added. A letter-writing campaign led by the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, a national coalition of health-care professionals, educators, advocacy groups and parents, along with coalition member Dads and Daughters, over marketing toy versions of the singing group the Pussycat Dolls, led to the product's cancellation."

Because marketing has its limits, and most parents would be just fine without "Pussycat Dolls" toys being pandered to our children.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act - by kandrathe - 07-09-2012, 01:24 PM