US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act
(07-05-2012, 03:45 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: I would like to see this 'figure of speech' go away too, for the reasons I cited above.
There are many on my list. But, I believe my *real* peeve is our tolerance for vulgarity in general. I didn't want to come across as a prig, so I'll link to an article which better describes my train of thinking. It raves a bit too much against liberalism. I'm actually a proponent of liberalism, in this case, that people should choose to be the masters of their expressions, rather than be muzzled by laws. In art terms, I'm not against the idea of the freedom expressed by Maplethorpe, I believe it was an abuse of our tolerance to push liberalism to the breaking point. It's the same with other expressions in the media, and broadcasting. Yes, we can, but we don't ask ourselves if we should.

And... it comes to the forefront for me weekly, trying to raise two boys (9 & 11) whose culture is rife with vulgarity. For example, in some pvp in a game they are playing it has become "normal" for the winner to squat up and down over the corpse of the victim and proclaim "I'm tea-bagging you". I was shocked. Of course, the casualness of it's recent use in media reverberates throughout the culture and eventually lands into the brains of my sons. As a parent what I did was to clearly explain to them what and why this was a sexual act and inappropriate for them (or their friends) to suggest in the game, or on the playground. I don't like having to teach them about this kind of sexual subject at this age, but better than for it to become an incident at school.

I should note that I'm using the word "vulgarity" in it's old meaning "Lacking sophistication or good taste", not merely swear words. For example, I find Bob Diamond's lack of respect in the hearing today to be vulgar.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act - by kandrathe - 07-05-2012, 06:12 PM