gross national hapiness index
(04-04-2012, 12:00 AM)AngryCommie Wrote: Perhaps 'value' wasn't the best word to use. You guys certainly do take more vacation and leisure time than we do overall though, for the simple fact that you can. There is a much more generous benefits package for employees over there, than there is here in America. It varies from country to country of course, but what is the average paid time off that you get in England? I would like to know also from some of our Scandinavian posters also. Here in America, the general standard is usually 2-3 week paid vacation for most workers, a bit more for managers or other higher positions, and A LOT more for CEO's. Also, you must keep in mind we have been greatly socialized to believe in the so-called 'American Dream', that if you just work hard enough, you get ahead (which of course, is false, most Americans are now just struggling to get by, let alone ahead). The powers that be, of course, want it this way, because the more we work, the more we can consume. And the more we consume, the more we become complacent and dumbed down. I'm not saying its not this way in Europe also, but there is no doubt that to at least some degree you guys aren't socialized in such a manner. I've been told that you guys are actually ENCOURAGED to take time off, and enjoy intellectual life and spending time with your family. Here, it is about making the fast buck, to buy a big beautiful home with a yard, a nice car, and a dog. I think deep down, most Americans would like less hectic and more simplified life style, but they have little time to think about this as they are too busy in the rat race of balancing work, school, family, social life, etc, not to mention paying bills and putting food on the table, to think more profoundly about this stuff. All the advertising around us in this ultra hyper corporate jungle doesn't help matters either. I think both Americans and Euros try to balance the so-called lower pleasures and higher pleasures in society, its just that you guys prefer the higher ones while it is the reverse for us, as far as I can tell.
I seem to have created a bit of a misconception; I'm Danish, not English.

Off the top of my head, we have maybe 8 weeks worth of vacation time on average for working adults, all in all. I think that's mostly accurate, but again, off the top of my head.

(04-04-2012, 12:00 AM)AngryCommie Wrote: Right, but at least you guys respect your intellectuals. In America, it is almost considered a crime to be smart, or at least it seems like it. Intellectuals are greatly mistrusted and considered "elitist" here. Anti-intellectualism has been a staple of American culture and politics for quite a long time now, which is baffling to me considering the nation was founded by intellectuals. Actually, strike that. I'm not baffled. It is a methodology used by those in power and their tools (the media) to control us easier. After all, a less intellectually astute populace is a more passive populace that isn't as likely to question the system or its values.
"Those in power" cannot control the general population to the extent you suggest. From what I understand of your media, it's terrible, but it isn't the only source of news, so its value is decidedly less.

What you are describing is far from unique to America. We have a concept in Denmark called 'janteloven' (translates as 'the Jante Law'); essentially, it says, "Don't think you're better than the rest of us." (There is really a bullet point list of 'laws', but that one more or less encapsulates the intent in all of them.)

From the point of view of Europeans, Americans are people who pride themselves on knowing everything, while essentially knowing nothing. It's a common joke that Americans can't place countries on a map.

Being a joke based on stereotypes, it is of course wrong while at the same time hypocritical (as all such jokes are). The vast majority of Europeans can't tell one US-state from the next. (I have a lot of problems distinguishing between them, just as an example, and I can at least place some.)

(04-04-2012, 12:00 AM)AngryCommie Wrote: No doubt. But alot of the 'Marxian' propositions can be seen in your guys values overall, namely by the fact you value equality more than freedom and have a substantial welfare state compared to us. But the irresponsibility of younger consumers is a natural result of living under Capitalism. The powers that be know this too, because younger citizens are more impressionable and easier to exploit. I dont know how it is there, but here, if you live in the city, there is advertising, billboards and marketing all around you. This stuff is force fed to people, especially younger people. I assume its the same way there. But nevertheless, there is quite a substantial difference in our base values, and thus were socialized in a very different way from one another. While I hate all Capitalism, at least in your guys culture, it is somewhat tempered by your generous welfare state, and that equality and intellectualism is of more importance than freedom and conspicuous consumption. And of course, most of the stuff we are spoon fed is junk. My general rule is: if it is advertised, it is probably garbage. Otherwise, it wouldn't need to be promoted to be bought - it would be able to sell itself based on an intrinsic quality. People would simply buy it if it was truly something worth purchasing. Now, I'm not saying to never buy stuff that is advertised, we all do it to some extent, myself included. I guess my ultimate message is, just be aware - unfortunately, most people aren't. Anyways, as someone who is an unapologetic and openly Communist, I have no problem with the advancement of technology or the distribution of societies products and services. In fact, I encourage their advancement so long as they contribute to social and technological or scientific progression. What I DO take issue with, is the exploitation and the subjugation of the labor involved to do so, as well as WHERE many of these goods are actually allocated - and that is just the economical aspect of it of course, this doesn't take into account the political and social material conditions of society that result from class antagonist economic modes of production.
You need to make more paragraphs. Wink It becomes rather difficult to read like this.

Stuff which is advertised is not automatically garbage; the opposite is often true, simply due to the fact with increased scrutiny, producers are forced to act to protect their brand from any negative publicity.

The sheer fact is, there are enough products in existence for virtually anything that you need advertisement to foster public knowledge of your product, so it doesn't drown in the sea of your competitors.

No-name brands are generally terrible, because they don't need to be more -- people don't expect it, and what's more, they don't really want it (as the no-name brand is generally also a hell of a lot cheaper). Look for the no-name brands the next time you shop and maybe compare one to a well-known counterpart. Unless you have virtually no tastebuds, you should be able to tell a difference in quality in any food products or beverages. (If you prefer the no-name brands, well, then maybe you just have no taste. :p)
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk

Messages In This Thread
gross national hapiness index - by eppie - 04-03-2012, 09:21 AM
RE: gross national hapiness index - by Jester - 04-03-2012, 02:13 PM
RE: gross national hapiness index - by eppie - 04-03-2012, 02:37 PM
RE: gross national hapiness index - by kandrathe - 04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
RE: gross national hapiness index - by Taelas - 04-03-2012, 02:56 PM
RE: gross national hapiness index - by eppie - 04-04-2012, 07:37 AM
RE: gross national hapiness index - by Taelas - 04-03-2012, 10:51 PM
RE: gross national hapiness index - by eppie - 04-04-2012, 08:00 AM
RE: gross national hapiness index - by kandrathe - 04-04-2012, 10:43 PM
RE: gross national hapiness index - by kandrathe - 04-05-2012, 07:22 PM
RE: gross national hapiness index - by Jester - 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM