Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
(12-14-2010, 10:23 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote:
(08-21-2010, 01:36 AM)Ziig Wrote: but from the production blogs I got the impression they tried very hard to be as faithful as possible.

/cast level 1 thread necromancy spell...
/spell successful!!!1

The first half of the movie was good, it's the last 30 minutes or so where it starts to suffer due to time constraints, IMO at least.

There's only so much you can pack in an average movie duration, the books covers about a year timespan in the life of the characters. The movie seems to cover about a week or so at most.

Some of the jokes that exist only in the movie version was good to great. The Todd Ingram fight scene was enjoyable. The scene near the beginning showing Scott's and Wallace hole in the ground apartment was amazingly done.

The music is great, from the Universal's opening logo to the awesome rendition of the Legend of Zelda Fairy music. I don't know if that's made specially for the movie or from a version of Zelda I haven't played, but I'd love to hear the Scott Pilgrim's version of that theme in a next gen Zelda game.

Having said all that, the movie did leave out a lot of the character developments IMO. In the books, despite the series title (Scott Pilgrim) the first character you see after the cover pages is literally, Ramona. From book 1-5, except 6 which is the last one (for a very good reason without spoiling too much).

Speaking from my own bias again, I highly recommend the graphic novels. Ignore some of the hype and blather from people who never even read them. (eg: comics are for kids, I'm over the age of 20 I can't understand these hipster youngins who are ruining the world, NERRDSS!!!1)

What Scott Pilgrim is actually about is a coming of age story. (Anyone who says they're too 'mature' for those kinds of things yet still watches 'StarWars', can safely be ignored. Tongue )

In the back of the book there's a description for the series as being an Action, Comedy, and Romance. I'd say that's accurate but what makes it special in my opinion is that it combines the 3 succesfully. There's no requirement that you need to be a 16-25 year old hipster gamer nerd to read it.
I haven't read the novels, but I enjoyed the movie mostly for the brilliant writing. It was fairly well acted, and yeah the last 30 minutes seemed rushed to fit in fights with the remaining ex-boyfriends.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - by Ziig - 08-21-2010, 01:36 AM
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - by kandrathe - 08-21-2010, 03:10 AM
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - by VinnieJones - 08-21-2010, 05:35 PM
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - by Taem - 08-23-2010, 12:20 AM
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - by kandrathe - 08-23-2010, 02:27 AM
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - by Hammerskjold - 12-14-2010, 10:23 AM
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - by kandrathe - 12-14-2010, 04:12 PM
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - by Kevin - 12-14-2010, 09:33 PM
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - by Hammerskjold - 12-15-2010, 01:14 AM