Every company should be like Logitech
Hi,

(11-11-2010, 05:33 AM)DeeBye Wrote: To that I say NEVER! I shall not dabble in your witchery. Fingers and thumbs are meant to click buttons. I am shocked - SHOCKED, and OFFENDED that you are trying to get me to actually TOUCH the ball-shaped element with my actual fingers. It's obscene, and against the natural order of interactive computing devices. What you are suggesting is an abomination and I shall not succumb.

I know this is all in jest, but you (and everybody) should really try it. Just like mice, different trackballs work for different people. Some (like me) prefer the thumb ball, other the fingertip or even the palm ones (although these latter are better for Asteroids than they are for general use).

I was introduced to trackballs by a friend who worked in the computer aided design industry. His right hand was pretty well glued to the pointing device, and the need to actually move a mouse around caused him shoulder pain. With a trackball, he was able to assume a comfortable position with his forearm at rest and the weight of his arm supported by his worktable instead of his shoulder. I made fun of trackballs, so he brought over a spare and hooked it up to my computer and told me to try it for a week. I hated it, and gave it back to him th next weekend. Re-installed my mouse. Next day, I bought my first track ball -- I'd not realized what a poor pointing device a mouse was until I'd gotten comfortable with the trackball and tried going back.

So, yeah, it takes a little bit of getting used to, but I personally don't know anyone who's used a trackball for as much as a week that voluntarily went back to a mouse. And I know of one doctor that recommends trackballs to patients with CTS.

Of course, YMMV. But next time you're at a store that has trackballs, give them a try.

--Pete
Hi,

(11-11-2010, 06:23 AM)LavCat Wrote: My trackball is glued to the desk with museum putty.

That's brilliant. I'm going to have to try that. Mine keeps moving further from me (combination of hanging tail and sliding the keyboard tray back and forth) and I periodically have to yank it back.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
Every company should be like Logitech - by DeeBye - 11-09-2010, 03:37 AM
RE: Every company should be like Logitech - by --Pete - 11-11-2010, 08:13 AM
A wet keyboard is usually fixable. - by --Pete - 11-12-2010, 09:16 AM