Net Neutrality--Google--Fairness Doctrine.
(09-02-2010, 02:36 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: What struck me (with my oh-so-western sensibilities and education Rolleyes ) was this comment in the article:
Quote:Ardi's case has highlighted the tobacco industry's aggressive marketing to women and children in developing countries like Indonesia, where regulations are weak and many people do not know that smoking is dangerous.
No mention of the lack of incentive for regulation of a lucrative source of government income, but I have little doubt that it applies also. Undecided

I think the 'many people do not know that smoking is dangerous' part might be a bit misleading. From what I remember during my time there at least, most people do know it's not necesarrily healthy.

I don't doubt the increasing marketing push towards women. There's likely more than just one factor at play, but the majority of smokers in Indonesia tends to be males at least when I was there.

The lack of incentive and weak regulation thing, I'd personally say most likely to some people having significant interests\stake in the matter. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are remnants of 'Suharto INC'. (Made up of his family\relatives, and their cronies, and the cronies to the cronies, and the entourage to that cronies of the cronies etc etc etc Russian dolls style.)

Like this example. Even though this is from 1990's.
http://www.hamline.edu/apakabar/basisdat.../0005.html

"Indonesia has established a clove trading monopoly controlled
by President Suharto's youngest son despite fierce opposition from
major clove cigarette manufacturers."

Though I want to clarify something here. It's not an Indonesian custom to give a toddler cigarettes. I do remember seeing some street kids (approx 9-teens upwards) smoking but I'd hazard a guess that's more to do with poverty and other factors. (And something I saw in Canada and the US as well, with 'tweens lighting up anyway.)

Messages In This Thread
Indonesia and Tobacco - by ShadowHM - 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM
RE: Indonesia and Tobacco - by Hammerskjold - 09-02-2010, 10:11 PM
RE: Indonesia and Tobacco - by ShadowHM - 09-03-2010, 12:09 AM
RE: Indonesia and Tobacco - by --Pete - 09-03-2010, 03:36 AM
Handicap Principle - by ShadowHM - 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM
RE: Handicap Principle - by --Pete - 09-04-2010, 03:48 AM
RE: Handicap Principle - by ShadowHM - 09-09-2010, 12:45 PM
RE: Handicap Principle - by kandrathe - 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
RE: Handicap Principle - by --Pete - 09-09-2010, 04:18 PM