Net Neutrality--Google--Fairness Doctrine.
(08-19-2010, 08:06 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: And economic factors. And the colour of your skin. And regionalism. And education level. Municipal level governance vs national level. Crony capitalism corruption vs micro economics. Generals vs President (who are sometimes surprise surprise ex-military generals) vs Public. Old vs Young. Team Edward vs Team Jacob. All are in play at the same time. Seriously, I'm not being rude here but I have to be blunt.
Well, sure. Society is a complex jigsaw puzzle. I like blunt, BTW. Where do I get my sources? Well, international news sources, like Al Jazeera (whom I'd hope would be objective if not slightly Islamic biased). I've never been to Indonesia, and I doubt I'll ever get there. Sorry I'm not up on the cultural nuance. But... Reading the international news, there are lots of articles from the past 4-5 years about rising tensions between Islam and Christianity. Maybe they are the ones spun that way that catch my interest, but I doubt its just total BS. I brought up the Islam\religious part, because that is our topic. It would be strange for me to suddenly begin to discuss out of the blue the continued violence in Maluku since the peace agreement of 2002.

Quote:And I dunno where you get the idea with the modern communication bit vs not hearing it for months in the olden days.
Not just there. Everywhere. It's hard to be mad at someone to their face, but easier to read some (biased) news report and get all hostile about it. We have a cafe culture where I live too, but people pretty much keep their discussions to local items. Politics and religion would be things considered rude to discuss in polite company. It was just speculation on the internet, and a 24x7 news cycle. More news spun making the politico-zombies crazy, whether they be amped up by Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich on the mega-mosque, or some internet site run by adherents of Abu Bakar Bashir. I just think a significant portion of humanity don't really want to invest themselves in knowing the truth, they just want to believe in someone/something and be told what to do.

Quote:Seriously, I dunno where you get your source of info but I suggest looking for better ones. Right now it seems you're watching some SpongeBob then thinking you have a fair handle on what marine life is actually like.
You are a source. Are you good?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Net Neutrality--Google--Fairness Doctrine. - by kandrathe - 08-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Indonesia and Tobacco - by ShadowHM - 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM
RE: Indonesia and Tobacco - by Hammerskjold - 09-02-2010, 10:11 PM
RE: Indonesia and Tobacco - by ShadowHM - 09-03-2010, 12:09 AM
RE: Indonesia and Tobacco - by --Pete - 09-03-2010, 03:36 AM
Handicap Principle - by ShadowHM - 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM
RE: Handicap Principle - by --Pete - 09-04-2010, 03:48 AM
RE: Handicap Principle - by ShadowHM - 09-09-2010, 12:45 PM
RE: Handicap Principle - by kandrathe - 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
RE: Handicap Principle - by --Pete - 09-09-2010, 04:18 PM